Promotional Haiku logos

There’s already an SVG version in Haiku’s repo :slightly_smiling_face: :

https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/data/artwork/HAIKU%20logo%20-%20black.svg

1 Like

One drawback of using the “Haiku logo - black.svg” is that the background is transparent. A good thing, normally, save when people are using “dark mode”. Then it becomes unreadable. Maybe best to have a fixed white background after all. Except if the site supports to have a separate dark-mode version of the logo. Then provide the “Haiku logo white.svg” as well.

We intentionally provide two versions of the logo for dark and white backgrounds. These should be used together.

I don’t know if there is some trick in SVG we could use to “autodetect” the background color or wether the web browser used to view the file is using dark mode

1 Like

Is there a Haiku equivalent to this BeOS logo?
BeOS_Logo-3D

No, this is done in html with a media querry.

In any case, they asked explicitly about a logo working on a light background only, they probably don’t intend to support dark mode on that page.

Indeed, the logo is on a white background. There’s no dark mode, so I don’t think it would change.

Exactly. What I’ve got now looks bad, but not terrible.

Overall I would say this is pretty “fair use” of our logo but if you want an official approval: as part of Haiku, Inc. I approve the use of our logo on the RISC-V site.

But please let’s use an official and decent SVG version, likely the one with black text on a transparent background. The converted one does not look good, as has been noted.

Also if we need an official square logo we should make one. I do kind of like the Haiku 3D inspired one but probably an easier one would just be the H of the official logo.

1 Like

I was told the square logo isn’t the official logo and is not to be used (though I like it more since it looks like Haiku icons). There isn’t an SVG version available suitable for use on a white background, so I made one best I could. The RISC-V website says the logo has to have the project name in the website, so the just the H logo wouldn’t work either.

Could you make an SVG logo suitable for a white background?

This was posted earlier, maybe you missed it:

https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/plain/data/artwork/HAIKU%20logo%20-%20black.svg

You can download that and use it. If you need something you can hot link to we can add it as a file on the website. Right now the website only has the white version in SVG, here (just as an example of the URL):

https://www.haiku-os.org/images/haiku_logo_white.svg

Let me know and I can upload the black one to the website.

Also the Haiku, Inc site has a PNG of the black on white logo, though it is only 316x102, so the SVG would probably look better:

I guess I did miss it, thanks for sharing. The new logo looks much better! RISC-V Interactive Landscape

I don’t need the logo on the website, since it’s added to their repo.

3 Likes

Yeah it looks great to me, ship it!

Thanks for doing this!

2 Likes

No problem, happy to help

Edit: It’s live RISC-V Interactive Landscape

4 Likes

What’s the issue with using the existing square one linked above? It’s in the style of the official “Haiku” logo, practically a cut out of the “H” spanning two low hills to be a bit more dramatic… :slight_smile:

The Wonderbrush file also has a layer with the Haiku name, that might come in handy in some situations:

H square - black on white

2 Likes

This one was also used in several runs of stickers, and is also now our logo in rEFInd (with an added shadow matching the style of other logos in their default theme).

So, yes, if the inc makes a square logo official, I’d prefer this one

That logo is hideous.

This logo in blue with a white outlined leaf, that would look amazing.

Add to that variants with Haiku-text in the same manner as Be used.

This 3D logo is a “retrofit” of BeOS logo to isometric icon style. Be didn’t use it as a logo this way, only when they needed their logo as an icon (for example as a bookmark icon)

This has too much going on to be easily readable at smaller sizes. For a square logo, either use just the H with the leaf or only the leaf. The H is recognisable enough on its own as Haiku IMHO. Anyways, the regular logo is also rather readable at smaller resolutions too.

1 Like

But we are not BeOS, we are Haiku. I think it’s wrong to copy everything and make everything look like before. Haiku is a standalone product and has its own history. You have to accept that.

I like the haiku logo and don’t see anything obnoxious about it. Also, I don’t think it’s nice how the work of those who designed it is done badly with such statements.

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Moderation == censorship?