Progress on running Haiku on VisionFive 2

While technically possible, It do not fit intended Haiku use case – to be desktop operating system. USB support should be fixed, some bugs also seems affect Haiku USB support in general, including x86 hardware.

Some people upload demo videos for VisionFive 2 as desktop system with Debian Linux: https://www.reddit.com/r/RISCV/comments/13yhij5/video_proof_that_the_visionfive_2_is_usable_as_a/

2 Likes

Ensure you are using X512’s haiku-src RISCV patches versus vanilla haiku-src.
Then, ensure Haiku splash screen and accessing boot menu screen works.

Note: (use VF2 v3.0.4+ firmware):

• audio driver - not yet
  • Wifi driver - not yet tested with Haiku compatible hardware
  • Ethernet driver - in progress :checkered_flag:
  • USB3.0 xHCI Driver - :white_check_mark:
  • Video FB driver (1080p, worked for X512) :white_check_mark:
1 Like

Attempting to follow danboid’s footsteps, I re-built and burned the image to my nvme drive.

I have tried just burning the image, as well as manually assigning a GTP table and writing the files to the partitions. I get the following error on the console:

ethernet@16030000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete… TIMEOUT !
phy_startup() failed: -110FAILED: -110ethernet@16040000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete… TIMEOUT !
phy_startup() failed: -110FAILED: -110ethernet@16030000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete… TIMEOUT !
phy_startup() failed: -110FAILED: -110ethernet@16040000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete… TIMEOUT !
phy_startup() failed: -110FAILED: -110StarFive #

Is this a drive incompatibility?

That’s an error from the ethernet port, I doubt it is related to the drive?

Sorry, I did not see the post about the u_boot env need to be set.
Testing now.

Edit: nevermind about the errors!

Check that:

1. ROM firmware is updated.
  2. U-Boot is configured to boot from NVMe using UEFI.
  3. visionfive2 branch is used.
  4. @minimum-mmc build target is used. @minimum-raw image need additional preparations like manually making ESP partition and copying Haiku EFI boot loader.
  5. Haiku image is written to NVMe, not SD card. SD card is not supported yet by Haiku and you will get “no boot partitions!” KDL.
4 Likes

Success. Does this make me number 3?

27 Likes

yep, you’ve made the podium - now you have to do a “shoey” :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Definitely! :wink:
This is my favourite one: https://youtu.be/tGV0lAgr4so

Sorry for being OT.

5 Likes

I’d love to try this out! Is there any way you could share your current image?

1 Like

Well my “image” is just the compiled environment. None of the bugs have been fixed yet.
You will still need to tell U_Boot how to find the nvme volume. When I get home I will attempt to share my image with you, but you will still need to update the firmware.

If you scroll way up, using Arch Linux is pretty easy to update the firmware on the VisionFive2 following the well written steps.

After that, you’ll need a uart console capable of interacting with the board, I use Minicom from my laptop.

2 Likes

https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/g/sw-dev

Make sure you rebuild before you upload anything- there’s been several updates over the last few days since you last posted about your success in building it.

I would recommend people learn to build it themselves. It really doesn’t take long on a relaltively decent x86 laptop or desktop - you can build both the tool chain and the Haiku image in less than 20 minutes on an average i7.

Be aware that even if you do get it to boot, you can’t install stuff from Haiku depot so if you’re not willing to type a few commands and get your hands dirty by building your own image, I don’t think Haiku on riscv is for you yet because making it useful currently requires building all your own packages.

The VF2 Haiku images contains next to nothing so no web browser, media players etc. You get Tracker, the Terminal and not much else.

2 Likes

I agree. I sent it to them privately. But its exactly the same thing they could have compiled themselves on any machine, which is exactly what I did.

This weekend I hope to work on the project more.

1 Like

I see your post when you got it to boot has had twice as many likes as mine when I got it to boot before you and also posted the build instructions, presumably because you posted a pic and I didn’t bother.

Meh!

:smiley:

6 Likes

Got an extra one now :smiley:

1 Like

+1 from me too

1 Like

With additional packages it is possible to run MediaPlayer and NetSurf.

2 Likes

You haven’t created a repo / FTP site of riscv .hpkg files anywhere yet have you?

I presume this or ideally Haiku depot support for rv64 won’t happen until the VF2 code is upstreamed.

What we need for an official Haiku repository is a Risc-V machine to build the package. It doesn’t strictly need to be upstreamed, but it should be run by someone fully trusted (this probably mean someone with commit access?) since it will build packages that are hosted by haiku and distributed to all users.

The machine needs to be always on, and connected to the “buildmaster” service that schedules the builds and uploads the packages.

Of course, in the long term we’ll want the machine to run an official release of Haiku, but it doesn’t have to start that way. And it should be possible to do this in a virtual machine as well (it may even be easier to set it up that way?)

3 Likes