Progress on porting Firefox

Thank you comments!

Yes. We need our own (or choose safe existing one) branding until Mozilla authorizes us to call our work (not yet!!) Firefox officially.

I have a proposal for the name and icon motif as a project starter, but discussing it is too premature.

Although I have no interest to port PaleMoon, but using more system libraries may help this situation, thanks.

The FreeBSD port of Firefox also in favor of using system library. It reduces system wide disk usage and helps keeping patchset size small to build.

1 Like

Thank you for info. But DWARF3 debug build didn’t work for me…

Is Fennec still around as the alternate branding?

@tqh I wrote up this. This instruction may lack some information and has some mistake, please inform me if you find what didn’t work well.

8 Likes

Nice and clear instructions! I expected a lot more hacks to get the build working.
I probably won’t have much time to build myself, but you never know…

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Name that Firefox port

Quick build test on Haiku hrev57019 x64:

$> git clone --filter=blob:none -b haiku102 https://github.com/kenz-gelsoft/gecko-dev.git

• Note: About an hour (i.e. 68m) for full git completion.

$> make ./bootstrap

~ Artifact menu: Picked option 2- Firefox Desktop

• NOTE: I had to install pip3 (Package: pip_python39 22.3.1-2)

• Picked 'no" for data collection, Mozilla commits, and telemetry.
  • NOTE: Your system should be ready to build Firefox for Desktop!

Compared with Firefox 113.0.1 (Linux x64).

2 Likes

@cocobean Thanks trying!

I updated the Wiki info, with my additional test.

I added how much time and disk space it’ll take, required PC resource, prerequisite python3. Especially I forgotten, for the true first time, they asked you about build-time data collection.

What about git clone --depth=1?, this should save time and disk space?

1 Like

Oops, I missed to write about this in the wiki.

I will add it tonight, you need to do following basically:

git clone https://github.com/mozilla/cbindgen
cd cbindgen
cargo build --release

and set PATH env to built cbindgen command lives in target/ dir.

1 Like

Yes, It’s OK for just trying to build. If you will work on the clone, I don’t recommend it (since many git feature won’t work).

2 Likes

There is already a port of FreeBSD and Mac for Palemon and Basilisk, Basilisk’s interface is more friendly!

Wow! Awesome progress, this is super cool to see. Firefox support on Haiku is a dream.

3 Likes

I created a Haiku x64 package and recipe for cbindgen 0.24.3. I’ll post it soon.
Hopefully, we can build a modern Firefox on Haiku x86 as well.

2 Likes

Did you ran a build on 32bit also? (I know it’s a pain to build)

Not yet. Haiku’s X11 Render and RandR extension builds are currently disabled.

Not to distract from the motivation of porting Firefox to Haiku. I was curious if SeaMonkey can be ported to Haiku without a lot of work?

Seamonkey does not support wayland as far as i know.

Thanks! I’ll use once it published and will update build instruction!

Currently my build configuration and focus is with wayland only. I guess Xlibe may build too, but it is also need integration work with OpenGL.

I don’t know if it is even buildable with Gecko 102 ESR. Thunderbird team seems working with some amount of consideration as they shares some code with SeaMonkey. But I suspect it doesn’t work well even if it builds.

2 Likes

As far i know, the Seamonkey’s base is a 60.8 with the updates backported.

2 Likes