Problems with Java IDEs

I am trying to coding with Java on Haiku. I tried NetBeans and IntelliJ. NetBeans was too laggy on my virtual machine so, i tried IntelliJ. But it stucks on a very little window, i can’t resize or use it.
Ekran Alıntısı
How i can solve that problem?

I recommend to run Haiku on real hardware. A lot of hardware is supported.

3 Likes

I have only one computer. And i can’t dualboot and use Haiku from USB (i have only one USB and it’s for recovery).

There are a couple options for you. If you’re using a ggc2 build of Haiku there is a hpkg of BlueJ version 3.1.7 which uses Openjdk8 on Beshare. If you’re on an x86_64 machine BlueJ version 3.17 will build using Openjdk8 (it is possible to get that version of BlueJ to use a later version of Openjdk)

Greenfoot 1.51 is another option and if I remember, it will readily build using later OpenJdk versions. Greenfoot uses different terminolgy (think games) as it for education purposes.

3 Likes

Here’s a couple screenshots that I took to show they will run.

screenshot1

screenshot2

screenshot3

screenshot4

screenshot5

4 Likes

You should tell hin the server on beshare too. The default one of tunetracker are offline.

@lelldorin,

Good idea!

if you’re going to use the gcc2 build of BlueJ available on Beshare, you should use the following server:

beshare.agmsmith.ca

BlueJ throws errors.
Ekran Alıntısı

Those errors are because you tried to use a later openjdk. Openjdk8 was the last version which included tools which are needed to run Blue. In the later openjdk’s they use javafx for tools. I made a hpkg to install the java tools from openjdk8 to use in later openjdk’s.

1 Like

Just got back from work and read your error message again. I think you also tried to install a newer version of BlueJ due to javafx. the last version of bluejay that doesn’t require javafx is 3.1.7

1 Like

have tried @dasouth suggestion and it works. Looking further to install latest version of BlueJ against latest LTS JDK

Checked out latest versions of BlueJ and Greenfoot (installer), both require a working version for javaFX now too.
I’ve had a look and no _bin package for that is available (generic), created a package for gradle (build system used with jfx), hacked in some support for Haiku but still errors out in the beginning.
Would be nice if someone could get this to work. :slight_smile:

Android (also former Java) dev here. I can have a look once I have spare time (probably over the weekend).
Gradle package shouldn’t be needed. Gradle builds are usually run via the Gradle Wrapper which downloads and installs the corresponding Gradle distribution that should be platform-agnostic. I remember using Gradle builds with IntelliJ IDEA running on Haiku 2 years ago, and it worked fairly well. If there turns out to be an issue with running standard Gradle distribution on Haiku, I’d rather fix it upstream instead of creating Haiku specific patches.

What errors do you have?

2 Likes

Not in Haiku (atm), added Haiku in 2 files (will get back on that in a bit), can’t copy/paste now but here’s a screenshot so far (PS thanks for taking the time to look into it! :ok_hand: )

1 Like

Righ on that, turns out NetBean takes care of that (did the Terminal build first before I opened the project in NetBeans). :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far basic stuff is working as it seems :slight_smile:

5 Likes