Problem with returning command to shell?

Hi I’m just trying out Haiku (x64, latest nightly). I managed to install python 3 through HaikuDepot by installing the jinja-python3 package.

Whenever I’m running a python script such as for installing pip, when the python script is finished the cursor ‘hangs’ and command is not returned to the prompt. I then have to cancel the script using ctrl-c or ctrl-z and background it.

Any ideas?

update: Actually the same thing happens after running top!

Pip has a specific problem, it tries to “lock” by linking a file. Have you tried --user ?

And top is a program that keeps running, and updates the screen every few seconds untill you kill it. So in that case, it is not a bug.

I did notice that youtube-dl, another python tool, doesn’t return to the prompt anymore, too. I need to press ENTER. No CTRL+C needed, but still.

@korli same behaviour, seems to install fine but the prompt is not coming up.
top on any other system I’ve ever tried can be quit by pressing the q button, not on haiku however, I can only exit it via ctrl-c. Not sure if this is the same cause however.
@humdinger I can press enter all I want, it advances the cursor down the line but I’m not getting the prompt back.

A simple print statement in a py file works ok. but the home/config/cache/pip folder is owned by root even though I just installed it via python3 get-pip.py, which maybe is the cause for the pip issue?

There is only one user in Haiku, so things owned by “root” is normal.