Privacy protection

Consider Android. Android has applications that can collect information about the user and then sell it off such as contacts, browsing history telemetry etc. Can we have privacy features that can sandbox the application and have a monitoring feature to determin if it is collecting such information and what it sends off to the Internet?

As I know. Haiku is less protected than Android. And only lack of such software prevent your Haiku “leaking” your personal info.

When Haiku will have multi-user support, we’ll have privacy. Until then, everything runs under the same user and every program can read everything. With today’s internet, this can be quite scary. :stuck_out_tongue: Sadly, we still have to wait for multi-user support. I don’t know how much it will cost (in terms of development time) to turn everything upside down in order to implement access rights, but I’m sure it will be a pain in the butt.

As I understand multi-user and security of private information are not the same things. Multi-user automatically not guarantee for you security on the internet or even in the same PC area.
I would even say that one-user system potentially more secure than multi-user.

The point of multi-user, nowadays, is to separate access rights. And if the access rights are implemented, it only makes sense to have at least one super-user and one or more regular users, without administrative privileges - which means no access rights to sensitive areas in the operating system or data belonging to other users.

This is only valid if a single user accesses the operating system’s filesystem. If more than one user can access it, they can both read and change everything in Haiku, so it’s less secure. Currently there is no privacy in Haiku.

Sigh More talk of security… gee, if only someone would actually listen to me and try implementing my ideas, this wouldn’t even be a topic anymore… but no one is willing to think outside the box of conventional wisdom. And so we keep having these “talk about a problem but never actually fix it” conversations.

I’m sure it would’ve been “fixed” is it was easy enough. But it requires both file-system work and changes in every piece of software that wasn’t implemented with file access rights in mind - which are probably a lot. The problem is, their number keeps getting larger and the closed-source software will break if their developers won’t update it accordingly.

At least from the applications perspective, nearly 95% of the apps in Haiku are open source.

Personally, I found more danger in the lot of crappy fake apps available in Android, that ask a lot of permissions for no clever reasons.

Is the development for Haiku slow?