Port PaleMoon to Haiku?

I’d be happy if traditional password management would work more consistently with Web+. For example, I keep having to log into this forum, but github and associated services like gerrit remember me fine…

I haven’t looked at all at the backend and the role of keystore_server, but why would something like FaceID or TouchID be impossible? Once webcam and fingerprint drivers were there, asking the keystore_server for authorization could trigger an app to capture face/fingerprint and run it through a recognition library.
If anything, this sounds like a system service that doesn’t have too much to do with the browser specifically.

1 Like

Look for information on Apple’s Secure Enclave. The ability to process Face and Fingerprint information is handle by Apple designed hardware directly on the device - nothing leaves the device to be processed/interpreted/securely stored.

FaceID is just an edgymarketing gimmick to the likes on how Windows 10 with Linux subsystem is.
“Hey kids unlock your laptop with your face!” while we send a copy to the NSA

You still have the behind the scenes implementation as well. It’s not going to fly, it has no valid practical use. Apart from internally used with the Apple OS.

Palemoon is my daily driver browser, but that’s slowly coming to a close. The development for Palemoon are cranky, I’ve had my own issues with them espcially on their forum. blaming me rather then the extension developer who refused to accept. The browser feels stale, tired and is broken with a lot of modern websites. YouTube won’t even corporate with the browser so you’ll already going to get better results with WebPostitive. It was a nice project but legacy can only live for so long.

Web browsers are not on the top of the dev’s list of things to do. That’s cool because I’d prefer an operating system rather than a web browser.

It’s been said before, and I’ll repeat, if you really want to see something ported over, do it yourself, register an interest and wait Or fork up a large wad of cash and encourage developers.

1 Like

That’s more of a problem with cookies, I’d say. Some are not stored as they should. At this point I think our best way to go about this is first improve the webkit testsuite results (in particular for the http tests). And see if problems remain after that.

2 Likes

At least on the QtWebEngine side of things @3dEyes made some progress on loading web pages on QtWebEngine (uses same browser engine as Chromium). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJE9HiJZl4

8 Likes

What would needed in Haiku to make a port of PaleMoon possible?

• Download the sources of PaleMoon
  • Read the README
  • Try to follow the compiling instructions
  • Let us know what happens

Probably you will need to port many dependencies first. Maybe including GTK? I don’t know. I’m not a PaleMoon maintainer and I think no one here is.

2 Likes

First of all GTK (not sure if 2 or 3, the build instructions for Linux say GTK2, those for Solaris want GTK3). Just do a search for GTK on the forums here, there are already several threads about it.
Next thing would be audio support I guess. The Linux version uses pulseaudio which is not available on Haiku yet, as far as I know.
Probably easier to fix the remaining problems in WebPositive :wink:

2 Likes

I think something like that has been already discussed in the past in this forum. Maybe a related search could give some info.

actually, they left Patreon, because Patreon is now political.

1 Like

If we are going to port a browser, then it should be something like Vivaldi, which is under active development by people who share the same attitude to Google as we do.

However, if the team are confident they can get Web+ to work well (and it’s constantly improving) I would say stick with Web+, and stay in control.

Vivaldi is a proprietary Chromium-based browser AFAIK, or at the very least not open enough for a port.

1 Like

Have you spoken to Vivaldi?
The browser is already available on Windows, IOS, and Linux. I don’t know why they would object to a Haiku version, unless they think Haiku is too small to be worth the trouble.

No commercial entity will bother to port their software to Haiku at the request of a single user (or anything less than three digits).

2 Likes

What is, in your opinion, this attitude to Google that we supposedly share?

What? Have I missed something?

1 Like

Vivaldi or any Chromium-based browser for that matter won’t port to Haiku mainly since upstream doesn’t support it at all. Same reason why official BSD ports don’t exist (outside of maybe fully OSS ones), despite there being actively maintained unofficial patches.

We are happy that they fund our Google Summer of Code students and are the main financial sponsor of Haiku inc? :smiley:

Also several of Haiku contributors are employee there?

Not sure what part of this is shared with Vivaldi however.

5 Likes

Yeah, me neither, that’s why I was asking :wink:

It’s sad that both my post and yours have been censored by “the community”. It would be nice if the community could explain why they thought it necessary to do so.
I know that the Google Summer of Code makes a useful contribution to Haiku, but does that mean that Google should be immune from any adverse comment on this site?
And to those who say that the Haiku forum is not a place for political discussion, I would reply that this is an aspect of politics that affects Haiku. Indeed, the desire to escape the worst aspects of the Surveillance Society is one of the reasons I support Haiku, and I suspect I am not alone.

2 Likes