Port PaleMoon to Haiku?

What? Have I missed something?

1 Like

Vivaldi or any Chromium-based browser for that matter won’t port to Haiku mainly since upstream doesn’t support it at all. Same reason why official BSD ports don’t exist (outside of maybe fully OSS ones), despite there being actively maintained unofficial patches.

We are happy that they fund our Google Summer of Code students and are the main financial sponsor of Haiku inc? :smiley:

Also several of Haiku contributors are employee there?

Not sure what part of this is shared with Vivaldi however.

5 Likes

Yeah, me neither, that’s why I was asking :wink:

It’s sad that both my post and yours have been censored by “the community”. It would be nice if the community could explain why they thought it necessary to do so.
I know that the Google Summer of Code makes a useful contribution to Haiku, but does that mean that Google should be immune from any adverse comment on this site?
And to those who say that the Haiku forum is not a place for political discussion, I would reply that this is an aspect of politics that affects Haiku. Indeed, the desire to escape the worst aspects of the Surveillance Society is one of the reasons I support Haiku, and I suspect I am not alone.

2 Likes

I did not flag your post, nor the other one. Having established that fact, I must say that you certainly identified the reason they were flagged, if I slightly misquote you.

1 Like

It’s a pity you didn’t read further, and address what I wrote. But I should prefer to hear from the person who did flag the post.

I’m just going to lock this topic.

Things have been discussed in depth, anything else will likely go down a rabbit hole we really don’t need.

Feel free to port PaleMoon, or whatever else floats your boat. haikuports accepts pull requests.

I think that first, it is necessary to collaborate with projects like UXP and Palemoon/Basilisk, they are more willing to help!

There is this old ticket, it serves as a reference:

The proposal to port Pale Moon to Haiku has already been rejected in the past, as evident in that old ticket. It’s prolly not a good idea to relitigate it all over again.

2 Likes

That was in the past, when Haiku didn’t have xlibe and several features that it has today, besides the first link, it shows the initiative to compile UXP for Haiku!

Pale Moon’s insistence with bundling its own libraries runs counter to Haiku as a platform, wherein system libraries are prevalent. In short, both technical and philosophical obstacles prevent Pale Moon from ever coming to Haiku in any official capacity for the foreseeable future.

Browsers have some basis in Mozilla’s code, so porting knowledge is leveraged!

There is preliminary code for Haiku and readme.md speaking of build, there are porting attempts, this demonstrates some willingness to port the code to Haiku!

Goanna engine has preliminary code for Haiku, Basilisk has better policy than Palemoon, already has port ready for FreeBSD.

Better policy in what way, exactly? Does Basilisk have both the strict branding and static library requirements that Pale Moon has? If so, then the answer is still no.

Besides, multiple Haiku developers and contributors have already said their piece regarding Pale Moon and the people behind it (who are also behind Basilisk IIRC). If Pale Moon/Basilisk are willing to relax at minimum their static library requirements, then maybe they could be put into HaikuPorts. Otherwise, they could be built outside of HaikuPorts as standalone HPKGs if there is still willingness to port to Haiku.

Anyways back to the topic, hopefully Firefox or a less inflexible fork will start working in Haiku soon.

2 Likes

I don’t understand what they are trying to do by forking an old version of Firefox. If they wanted to make a better Firefox, bringing back Servo seems more interesting.

1 Like

Yes, branding is an issue, which is why Debian created the IceWeasel brand for Firefox. Basilisk used to have the same team as Palemoon, but they abandoned the project, someone else took over Basilisk:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=28657

Only recently did Mozilla start treating Linux as a first class citizen, FreeBSD isn’t even a third class, Mozilla only cares about Windows, so much so that several ports of Firefox ended, because Mozilla adopted rust and other impediments in the code!

1 Like

Palemoon is “gui”, it can be exchanged for Basilisk, which has a more friendly interface and owner of the project that is not part of Palemoon, in addition to the Goanna engine, is what really matters, with all the difficulties of ports of Firefox and etcs, it still bothers me it seems that UXP project (Goanna) and Basilisk are more favorable to Haiku than Mozilla’s Firefox!

Current Firefox has rust and many alien library requirements, which killed many ports to other OS, besides the brutal effort to port this recent version with rust!