Please make a new software for Haiku, not only a port

And as most of us are working on Haiku for fun on our free time, there is no reason to develop things except for our own needs. Unless someone is paying for it, of course, getting money is a good reason to do something that someone else needs :slight_smile:

18 Likes

the problem I know is the maintenance of the app. How do you create maintenance schedules for a given app or library in the case of recipes and ports? Are you creating another HDD image with a working version of the app? Is your activity open? Do you just rest on your laurels after compiling a port or library and forget how it’s done?

I bet at least someone could develop a Calendar for Haiku that actually allows for scheduling biweekly appoinments. I wanted to try running just Gnome stuff, but the Calendar is a bit too simple.

There is a calendar app called Calendar (who would have guessed :wink: ) written by a GSOC student a few years ago and since improved by others. I have no idea if it supports biweekly appointments but if not you can open a ticket at it’s GitHub page.

3 Likes

Innocent question - what does “biweekly” actually mean? Do you mean twice weekly or fortnightly? (And if fortnightly, why not just use that?) For me, it means “twice weekly”, because anything using “bi” to modify a noun, generally means “twice in the same thing”, not “every two” to my British English mind.

Edit: I even just googled it and Oxford English dictionary gives the definition: “produced or happening every two weeks or twice each week” - so yeah, it is a pretty meaningless in terms of clarity.

2 Likes

So, I suppose it is a fortnight, but we don’t really use that term here in the States so much.

But yes, this is not possible to do in most open source/alternative systems.

This is, for example, a reason why I can never use Gnome on Linux full time. As the developers seem to believe that it’s too hard to do, and nobody wants it for some reason.

Which, I mean, how could anyone make that claim?

Tons of people have appointments every 2 weeks. Every single calendar app except for those available in open source software do this. Outlook, Google, Mac, all of them offer recurring appointments every two weeks.

In the context biweekly is pretty clear imo. You can already easily make apointments that are esch tuesday and thursday for instance. Every second week is the problem here (or stuff like each first saturday of the month)

But is it? The dictionary definition is vague - it can be either. As I said, every two weeks is a fortnight in any dialect that is closer to British English. So biweekly and bimonthly mean “twice in that period” in my mind because “bicycle” means a cycle with two wheels, not two unicycles. Do you get what I mean? Anyway, not worth a follow up, just trying to understand the ambiguity introduced by using a term that has no defined meaning in international English.

There is no such thing as international english, for my case I’ve never heard if the term fortnight, and I’ve only heard biweekly used like it is here, anyway my point was that the context should make it clear like with other ambiqious terms, and I think it is mostly clear here.

1 Like

I think “International English” is sometimes used to mean British English, but taking into consideration that it’s more than just England/GB/UK/whatever that uses it, so “International”, not “British”. Most countries which use the same English, but the USA wanted to be different so we decided to change a bunch of spellings because we were rebelling against our parents.

Fortnight means two weeks, and is a British word (but going back to the “International” English thing, I bet countries outside of the US/Canada use it too).

I think most non-UK people don’t use the word fortnight, but just say every two weeks, in this case. It’s a very British word.
Biweekly means twice a week to me.

Pretty sure it is used in Ireland, Australia and NZ. Would be surprised if it wasn’t used in most other territories that are more influenced by British English than American.

International English is “everything except American English “, where British spelling and grammar is generally used. You know, most places except the US and to some extent Canada. I guess it is a bit of a tongue in cheek jibe at the American English speakers, mainly because they seem to believe their version of English is universal- and it is not at all.

Anyway, whatever the wording, the option should be available. Why not simply have a tooltip to avoid ambiguity? And to add this tooltip content in comment for translators so they are not left in the dark with a word with no context at all…

Well if you have to make things simple, and also more flexible, you can have an “every N days” or “every N weeks” setting. Then there is no need to spend hours deciding on which word to use :slight_smile:

Also, I will add that we can have country specific localizations on Pootle if needed, I think there are already an en_UK and an en_CA ones.

4 Likes

IIRC Calendar app localisation is made on Polyglot. There are a lot of languages available already, adding another shouldn’t be problem either.

2 Likes

I’ve checked the current version of Calender (build of the master branch from Haikuarchives). It has options for recurrence (weekly and yearly) in the GUI when adding a new appointment but they are greyed out. So I assume they are not implemented yet. I didn’t actually look at the code though.

So I’m sitting and thinking it would be useful to make a “power ball of haiku code” it is a snipped of modern code. I remember Xmas pack in 1999 where there were a lot of improvements and code extensions

WRONG! The best app to write is the app that you the developer wants to use because that will give you the most passion in creating it and following up on it lone term.

You can not write anything for other people if you don’t like what you are writing.

Even if you are not the “customer” for the app, you have to be happy with the way the user experience.

WINE should ONLY be used for games and things where the program is full screen and is based in the app. For anything else WINE should be a last resort and something to avoid at almost all costs. To do otherwise only delays what you set out to do which in this case in recreating/extending BeOS into Haiku with a totally unique user interface.

I’ve put in over 500 hours on over 50 different OSs (all versions/distros of one OS counts as one OS) over my 40 year career as a computer programmer working for large banks and government agencies.

Note: If not for the security for retirement, I found no value in working for government agencies other than that. Working for government agencies has to be the most sdrawkcab (backwards) way of thinking that I could ever have imagined. Even still, 51% of my time was working for banks.

I was one of the people that stumbled upon BeOS in 1994/1995 and I have two versions of BeOS that I bought back then. I very much want a BeOS and not yet another Linux/other OS inspired OS and applications and not yet another OS where I can run apps through WINE or were ported from another OS that look like that other OS. If I wanted that I never would have been interested in BeOS or Haiku.

Signed “grumpy old man” lol

3 Likes

While you’re at it, you need to also remove ffmpeg, freetype, GCC, fonts from other projects, Webkit and ported drivers. The OS can’t boot? Can’t display text or do anything useful? Well, at least everything is native.

What makes games and full screen applications special?