PHP 7.3 supported?

The PHP 7.3 Alpha 1 release notes mention this: Removed support for BeOS.

Does this affect Haiku in any way?

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

Do not forget: if you need it, help it happen.

Maybe by sponsoring the developers and/or testing the work in progress, because my C skills are below the sea level. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You can sponsor some of the devs here: https://liberapay.com/search?q=haiku
No guarantees they will actually work on what you need, however.

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye on Haiku’s PHP support. It would be great if I could do PHP development directly on Haiku. I hoped it was already possible but the work in progress still looks promising. At some point I will also be able to send some money to the developers involved in the process. :slight_smile:

PHP 5.6 already available but tested only on gcc2h: https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/blob/master/dev-lang/php/php-5.6.33.recipe

That’s good news, thanks. :slight_smile: I only looked in the HaikuDepot, so I missed that. Although I’ve been following Haiku long before it even had a package manager, I mainly looked for what it offers for a day-to-day usage. That would’ve been the least I needed to actually install it on bare metal and start doing more with it. And now that I noticed LibreOffice got ported I got excited and I wanted to try Haiku more extensively.

At this point I don’t know how to use that recipe, but I’m sure I’ll find that information. :smiley: Thanks for the tip!

Was this pulled out because of genuine disuse? Or did some dev look at “BeOS” and say well we don’t need to support a decades dead operating system without realizing that Haiku lives on? Or has build systems become close enough to not have a separately support structure for yet another POSIX system? This seems like a rather big deal for anyone using Haiku for web development. Sounds like this could be resolved a porter recipe.

What they removed is hacks to workaround BeOS bugs, which are fixed in Haiku. So it does not affect us much. It’s beter to do things from scratch in these cases.

2 Likes

I’m seeing that now. I just read through their build docs. Seems like they streamlined a bunch of stuff that was cluttering up the code base. I tried building 7.2.12 yesterday on x86_64. Configure wouldn’t finish unless --without-iconv was flagged. I tried for the life of me to get it to configure with iconv, “–with-iconv=/boot/system/bin/”. Compile did run for quite a while before failing on something. I forget what. I’m in the middle of fleshing out a porter recipe.