Performance of future Haiku versions

You realise Haiku added a driver for your M.2 SSD recently or it wouldn’t work at all right… hardware that doesn’t work isn’t useful and Operating systems supporting the hardware you have is the opposite of bloat.

A properly configured Linux or Windows system is not majorly slower than Haiku… but they typically dont’ come configured that way by default. And Haiku is all about good defaults for desktop use.

1 Like

That is wrong. Windows 10 Explorer is terribly slow compared to Haiku Tracker and there is no way to configure it. Resizing Explorer window get about 10 FPS for me. GDI rendering is very slow compared to Haiku especially when buffer bitmap is not used. GUI application startup time is also smaller than Windows 10. Haiku also allows to send message to existing process when opening file instead of starting new process that can significantly can increase file open speed.

Then you must be on a rather old computer… in that case yes Windows 10 is going to be much slower.

But if you have 2 computers build in the last year, no… there will be no noticeable difference unless you have majorly missconfigured windows. There is more overhead to running Windows but if you have enough CPU and disk performance then no… you won’t notice.

What you are experiencing is probably to some degree the grass is greener effect… while there are tasks that Haiku probably can do faster (File indexing on Haiku is faster even though it’s from the 90’s and as has been discussed not ideal, MS’s solution is garbage and crashes every other update). That said there are mountains of tasks that windows can do faster such as browsing the web, anything with a GPU, you can’t really run any games on Haiku more complex that about ~2005 … , video editing etc… are all faster on windows by orders of magnitude because it has drivers for accelerating such things and Haiku does not.

Also most of the places GDI is used… literally do not matter, and if you are experiencing lag with GDI it is almost certain that you have some sort of broken graphics driver since GDI is mostly drawn on the CPU anyway so not much to go wrong there except once it gets composited etc…even if it does redraw slow, how does this affect anyones actual workflow… it doesn’t.

GDI is always slower when compositing is enabled. Latest Windows where GDI works well is Windows XP. I experienced this on many PCs.

Modern CPU with SIMD instructions allow fast software rendering. Haiku has in-progress Mesa LLVM multithreaded OpenGL rendering. Blender is quite usable on Haiku even on PC with Windows 10 mentioned before.

4 Likes

This is tablet PC (Computers compatible with Haiku (OLD - pre-Beta2 list) - #131 by apgreimann). There are a lot of new portable PC produced, on which Windows 10 is slow.

That’s a dead end… it is already as fast as it will ever be.

It would be good to have GPU acceleration support in Haiku, but this is difficult and nobody had managed to implement it.

And while it is being worked on to some extent, it still isn’t a focus until R1 is released.

Nice to see my Blender port have some use. :slight_smile:

I would happily work on updating Blender to the lates, but AFAIK they changed the GL/GLSL requiments for 2.8x branch, if somebody can help to make it possible on Haiku, that would be great. Tested with MESA overrides, but no dice.

@X512, i have seen your libGL/libGL2 work, could you please tell us something about that?

Yes! Let’s start with the network and hard disk drivers! This way, no one can boot their machine anymore, sounds great. And let’s move the graphics card and keyboard drivers there too, just to make sure you can’t see or do anything while you type your wifi password to get access to the server.

And when the server goes offline, all Haiku installs will stop working because they can’t find their drivers.

And boot time will increase as you wait for downloading files which instead could just be stored on your disk.

7 Likes

libGL/libGL2 is Haiku OpenGL implementation based on OSMesa interface. It doesn’t use private Mesa interfaces or Haiku extensions (HGL). Difference between libGL and libGL2 is libGL has add on system, but libGL2 don’t. Add on system is not very useful, because add ons depends on libglapi. Add on system is fixed compared to HaikuPorts version.
Many applications including blender can work with this libGL version, but there are some strange errors, for example Miku model in blender with texture shading mode don’t work, but solid shading work. HGL libGL version have no problem with texture shading mode.
There is also strange bug [mesa] BGLView created after first BGLView not work properly · Issue #4466 · haikuports/haikuports · GitHub that present in both HGL and OSMesa, it can be bug in Mesa itself.

Note that Blender need fixes in libSDL2 context management, without it Blender crashes or freezes when opening and closing new windows. SDL2 Patches uploaded by me are incomplete, it fixes Blender, but break non OpenGL applications.

i’ve should of been more clear on which version of ubuntu i was using it was 8.04. i ran it on a pentium 2 450mhz 768mb of ram nvidia geforce mx 400 64mb 40gb hd. it ran really well it. i’ve even got compiz to work once the driver for the graphics card installed. performance wasn’t an issue until 10.04 system requirements was raised abit. i couldn’t get compiz to work because you needed a gpu with 128b of ram on it.

1 Like

I remember having the same problem with 10.04 (and a few earlier non-LTS releases) and the same nvidia card. I think I tracked it down to the merge of Beryl and Compiz into Compiz Fusion.

I think it was a regression during the merge which never got fixes.

I had compiz running on basically the minimum config for a bit… Transmeta Crusoe 933Mhz + Radeon 7500 8MB (maybe the vram limitations were an nvidia issue?). It worked… but I prefered dwm since it used less of the system’s resources. Even a CPU renderer should be much faster than a radeon r100 GPU these days I guess the main issue would be excessive memory bandwidth hogging… by any 3D rendering on the CPU.

In that case, perhaps Mesa Vulkan on CPU should be considered for implementation then?

1 Like

That doesn’t exist… there is a guy that wanted to do that via his Kazan project but that has never materialized. And even when it does it is extremely unlikely that it will perform any better than Mesa’s OpenGL LLVMpipe… which is memory bandwidth limited

but AFAIK they changed the GL/GLSL requiments for 2.8x branch, if somebody can help to make it possible on Haiku, that would be great.

I have a cross platform app with OpenGL 3.3 and GLSL 150, and it works fine under Haiku (minus SRGB texture format). What exactly is the problem with the Blender port?

I got Blender 2.80 working within terminal mode,. There was a GUI crash in SDL2 (and I think korli patched openexr, but there was something else to fix). Compiled fine a few months ago.

Going to review things again for Blender 2.81a, after playing with new intel_extreme updates.

1 Like