Open Source Engine / Death Rally [1996] for Haiku

This engine requires the (i think freeware) data of Death Rally and made some modifications, not in the code, it compiles perfect, but in the structure files (tree).

Needs the usual SDL2 stuff to compile (devel) and to play

The github readme explains step by step how-to and works great

Gameplay (captured from virtualbox)
https://link.storjshare.io/s/jwkqrenulwug4wypqpz35ihvcnla/movies/drally-2023-10-05_20.50.55.mp4

10 Likes

Very nice. Getting this into Haiku Ports would be nice!!!

1 Like

In the beginning it can be a bit hard, but once you get into it it takes about 5 minutes to prepare a base recipe, always nice to see new contributors at haikuports. :wink:

3 Likes

Nice, love the game. Email Remedy and say we want Alan Wake II on Haiku now.

2 Likes

Nice, didn’t know about the project.

I made some a .recipe and extra file for this game where i can post for the review? pastebin is ok?

3 Likes

pastebin or any other should be fine, you could also create a PR at haikuports so others can review it and it would end up in the depot (if things go well) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If someone wants to test this WIP .recipe

And the additional-file called game.sh

Script isn’t working I think (doubt that the data could be included in haikuports also):

7-Zip [64] 17.05 : Copyright (c) 1999-2021 Igor Pavlov : 2017-08-28
p7zip Version 17.05 (locale=nl.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,16 CPUs x64)

Scanning the drive for archives:
1 file, 43557058 bytes (42 MiB)

Extracting archive: DeathRallyWin_10.zip
--
Path = DeathRallyWin_10.zip
Type = zip
Physical Size = 43557058

Everything is Ok

Size:       43574432
Compressed: 43557058

7-Zip [64] 17.05 : Copyright (c) 1999-2021 Igor Pavlov : 2017-08-28
p7zip Version 17.05 (locale=nl.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,16 CPUs x64)

Scanning the drive for archives:

ERROR: No such file or directory
e

System ERROR:
No such file or directory
./game.sh: regel 14: cd: dRally: No such file or directory
./game.sh: regel 19: ./dRally: No such file or directory
1 Like

According to Download Death Rally | DOS Games Archive, the data (game) is free

"NOTE: Remedy Entertainment released a free Windows port of the game in 2009 (see the links section below). The free version is now also available from Steam. "

From another site (AusGamers Files - Death Rally Free Full Game)

“In 2009, Remedy is proud to announce the free re-release, Death Rally for Windows. The original game, ported to run on modern PCs.”

The question is “We can put this data in a depot even if it is freeware, e.g. Opentyrian. ?” I will ask them

2 Likes

“We give this to you for free” and “you are allowed to give it to free to other people” are usually two different things, so indeed we would need their permission to do that. This is because they may change their mind on giving it for free, and if a lot of other people are redistributing it, it would be complicated to make it a paid for game again.

1 Like

Looks like the released a new Death Rally 2012. So this one are called Death Rally Classic

1 Like