Notebook MSI Delta 15 A5EFK-009

Notebook MSI Delta 15 A5EFK-009

• Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with integrated Radeon™ Graphic
  • Graphics card AMD Radeon RX 6700M
  • Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (a/b/g/h/n = Wi-Fi 4/ac = Wi-Fi 5/ax = Wi-Fi 6/)
  • Bluetooth 5.2
  • Realtek ALC233 @ AMD K19.5 - Audio Processor

It is to despair, because sometimes this notebook Haiku 64bit hrev56921 boots from the USB stick and then again (often) not. I.e. WITHOUT asking either directly Windows or directly Haiku 64bit.

Deutsch (original):
Es ist zum Verzweifeln, denn mal bootet dieses Notebook Haiku 64bit hrev56921 vom USB-Stick und dann wieder (oft) nicht. D.h. OHNE Nachfrage entweder direkt Windows oder direkt Haiku 64bit.
Leertaste > Select safe mode options > [x] Use fail-safe graphik driver führt zum korrekten booten in der nativen Auflösung von 1920x1080 Pixeln. Ohne Leertaste etc. wird Haiku 64bit auch in nativer Auflösung gebootet, bleibt aber an der Rakete hängen.

Ansonsten funktionieren Wi-Fi, Sound, sowie Funk-Maus und Touchpad.

The translated version is hard to understand, could you please if you use such services put the original down below aswell?

1 Like

Es ist zum Verzweifeln, denn mal bootet dieses Notebook Haiku 64bit hrev56921 vom USB-Stick und dann wieder (oft) nicht. D.h. OHNE Nachfrage entweder direkt Windows oder direkt Haiku 64bit.
Leertaste > Optionen für den abgesicherten Modus auswählen > [x] Use fail-safe graphik driver führt zum korrekten booten in der nativen Auflösung von 1920x1080 Pixeln. Ohne Leertaste etc. wird Haiku 64bit auch in nativer Auflösung gebootet, bleibt aber an der Rakete hängen.

Ansonsten funktionieren Wi-Fi, Sound, sowie Funk-Maus und Touchpad.

Dieses MSI-Notebook hat intern eine 1TB SSD und 16GB RAM.
Eine zweite SSD mit 2TB und 2 x 32GB RAM liegen zum Eibau bzw. zum Austausch bereit.
Wenn Haiku dann mal wieder bootet, könnte ich es auf einer der SSD’s installieren.
Welche Konstellation und Konfiguration wäre die idealste, wenn ich für Windows mindestens auch weitere 1TB nutzen möchte?

Translatet with DeepL:
This MSI notebook has a 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM internally.
A second SSD with 2TB and 2 x 32GB RAM are ready for installation or replacement.
When Haiku boots again, I could install it on one of the SSDs.
Which constellation and configuration would be the most ideal if I also want to use at least another 1TB for Windows?

Das liegt an dem bootloader, wenn du ein grafisches menü möchtest installiere am besten refind.

Das kann man permanent machen damit es nächstes mal nicht mehr nötig ist, im kernel settings file. Ich weiß gerade nicht wo der ist, schaue mal später. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Boot Loader (haiku-os.org):
…in der Textdatei /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/kernel das # der Zeile #fail_safe_video_mode true entfernen.

Everything OK now! Although I have not yet fully understood how some settings in the UEFI/BIOS affect the boot order!
The connected gaming mouse is supported (5 buttons enabled and verified). However, the mouse pointer floats again and again, or moves very sluggishly!
No problems under Windows.

Haiku 64bit booting from USB stick(s) - strange (maybe I have to change something in the BIOS?):

USB stick flashed using Balena. Boot OK, but no place for updates.
From there selected a second USB stick (128GB) as installation medium and installed Haiku 64bit. Does not boot!

If BOTH USB sticks are inserted, the second stick is booted!

After booting Haiku 64bit, the integrated AMD Radeon Vega Cezanne is not activated, but permanently the dedicated AMD Radeon RX 6700M. This leads to useless heating!

MSI CLUTCH GM41 gaming mouse
The mouse cursor moves in phases alternating between normal and floating imprecisely.

Have you created/prepared the EFI loader as it is written in the user guide?

1 Like

I’m afraid I’ve been ducking it!

EDIT:
What is different (for the BIOS?) between the Haiku brought to the stick by means of Balena - and the stick on which Haiku was installed from the Balena stick?
After all, they are both bootable media.

Why does the Balena stick (also) have to be inserted when booting from the 2nd stick?

Exactly what extrowerk told you: you need an EFI partition with the bootloader. This is currently a manual process and has not been integrated in the Installer yet.

Is this very difficult to implement?

Not terribly difficult. All it does is add a small partition with a boot flag set, format it to whatever FAT filesystem is bigger than a floppy disk, and copy all the files into it from the boot media.

The real problem is making it take updates through the updater app.

You don’t need a boot flag, you need the correct efi guid (the esp one!)
and have to use fat32, not fat16.

1 Like

It should also create NVRAM boot entries.

1 Like

I have a similar new Laptop and even if you get to install a OS without Secure Key or whats it called you cant boot from internal HDD if secure boot is not set up properly and used. I have not yet managed to install Haiku on my MSI Alpha 15 B5EEK-008 on the internal drive and was able to boot it.

Also an implementation is needed for the logic to detect and mount and existing EFI partition, possibly on a different disk.

1 Like

Thanks. I hadn’t considered that. That makes it a bit trickier.

Thanks for all the responses!
This relatively new notebook is 100% ? (boots in native resolution, failsafe graphics driver, WLAN, sound, …) compatible with Haiku64bit - except what concerns (U)EFI/SecureBoot.

After Haiku x86_64 hrev507027 (or is it already 57033 (there is no date on the download page!) it sometimes ends with Panic, can’t find partition…, or with can’t boot the OS.

Until the BIOS and EC firmware update (earlier) was booted from the 1st USB stick (Balena) hrev56921 directly, although the 2nd (Install from Balena stick + daily updates) was also plugged.

I’d rather go to the garden than mess around with it!
There is still a lot of work waiting for me!

By the way: ALSO MSI has answered me that ‘my’ Linux system can already boot from UEFI such as open SUSE.
Thereby I explicitly mentioned BeOS > Haiku.