Not all networks being found

When booting Haiku, the listed avliable networks don’t include all of them, and I have to keep rebooting until it finds one that I can connect to.

The wifi card is:
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] (rev 10)

Is this a known issue or should I submit a bug report?

Have you tried to disable/enable the interface in network preferences instead of rebooting as a workaround?

I tried it several times, the network I am looking for never showed up.

There are a few entries on the list without a ssid though, not sure if that is related.

You can search for it at dev.haiku-os.org and if you find nothing, submit a bug report. The worst thing that can happen is we close it as a duplicate, which is still better than people knowing about it but never actually opening a bugreport.

The list of found networks is quite dynamic and changes all the time over here. Maybe reboots aren’t really needed, just keep opening the NetworkStatus popup menu from time to time.

Alternatively, check with ifconfig from Terminal. This shows the found networks (adjust path to network adapter):

ifconfig /dev/net/iprowifi4965/0 scan

You connect to a network with:

ifconfig /dev/net/iprowifi4965/0 join SSID-of-the-network the-wlan-password

I suppose the joing might work ‘blindly’, i.e. even if the scan at that moment hasn’t seen the network yet(?).

You can add that line to /boot/home/config/settings/boot/UserBootscript to auto-connect.

Yes, it indeed may.

It did change the list but not significantly with the same few being scanned sometimes being replaced with a new one.

It still couldn’t connect (and I made sure it was wpa/wpa2)

For me, not only was a reboot necessary, it had to be shut down cold. Which is interesting, because warm reboot should be the same to Haiku as a cold one, so I suppose it depends on something that’s retained in the adapter hardware (one of the Atheros devices supported early on.)

This is not unusual. You should always do a hard reboot if something is wrong.

Or de- and reactivate the interface in the network preflet.

For me, nothing short of a full shutdown would get me a new list of networks. Not a reboot - shut down power off, so you have to push the button to boot. Like there’s some kind of cache in the card, and it needs to go cold to clear it.

I can’t say for sure that applies to beta2 - I’ve had some sessions that weren’t able to get wifi, and scan came up blank, but I don’t recall trying the all the different reset options. Will try to, next time.

That is what I call a hard reboot. Power off.