No sound with VB OSE

Hi,
I don’t hear a sound ouput from HAIKU.
I can open the media control panel and there is a Auich ICH AC97 mixer pane. How do I proceed?
My apologizes if this question has already been asked in the past, I did not find an answer in the support forum.

Thank you!

file a ticket on the bug tracker.

Next step is to remove the native sound drivers

they are in 

boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/audio/hmulti

Delete all of the files in that folder.

go into termnial

type this

installoptionalpackage -a opensound

that should get you working.

you’ll want to do a quick reboot as well.What type of media are you booting on ??

I am booting from a hardfile “HAIKU.vdi” that I created during system install.
I did the opensound install, and my media control pane changed to Intel ICH 2415.
However, there is still no sound. Should I change something in the VB settings?
I have got controller: ICH AC97, Soundblaster 16 and hostdriver: PulseAudio, OSS, ALSA, null.
I thing I’ll give HAIKU a try with VB4 on my XP host also, just to look whats going on.

[quote=24bit]I am booting from a hardfile “HAIKU.vdi” that I created during system install.
I did the opensound install, and my media control pane changed to Intel ICH 2415.
However, there is still no sound. Should I change something in the VB settings?
I have got controller: ICH AC97, Soundblaster 16 and hostdriver: PulseAudio, OSS, ALSA, null.
I thing I’ll give HAIKU a try with VB4 on my XP host also, just to look whats going on.[/quote]

are you using virtual box ?

Yes, I do. VB OSE was meant to read: Virtual Box Open Source Edition.

OpenSound = OSS. Try changing to that. You should also remove ich_ac97 driver from Haiku (or all sound drivers) to avoid any conflict with OpenSound. OpenSound is ported to Haiku and can conflict with native sound drivers. So, you really should remove the other sound drivers when using OpenSound.

Virtual Box 4 offers HDA which Haiku supports. So, that’s another option.

I haven’t tested sound in Virtual Box so can’t give anything more specific than that.

Many thanks to both of you!
I will check the OSS setting as soon as my wife has finished playing Sudoku at my HAIKU VB :slight_smile:
may be I can set up HAIKU with an old spare pATA drive to run it natively.

Haiku works with SATA too. It supports AHCI SATA natively and (older) non-AHCI SATA when in legacy (IDE) mode (set in BIOS). So, if you can spare extra partition then you can install to that.

I also like installing and running off memory card (or usb stick) but seems less reliable for me when compiling programs when running from SDHC card otherwise programs run well. Virtual Box does good job also - fairly fast. You may want to try it out for 1 or 2 months first.

Sure, a stick might do fine too.
The sound system is not working for me, neither with VB-OSE nor VB4. I just wonder what I am missing.
I am already aware that the NV7100 / ALC662 on my low end board is rather picky.
Even some Linux distros dont get sound working.
I´ll try with another host system later.

Sound on virtual box on windows is really really hit and miss. Try a USB stick " be forwarned running a OS on a USB stick trashs the stick fiarly quickly" but I’d bet it will work fine.

Are you running VB OSE on linux ? all bets are off with as shaky as the linux audio subsystems are. I wonder if you could even get reliable data/message passing with linux with VB ??

SUCCESS!
I got a working HAIKU sound system for the first time with my wife’s Intel system running VB4. A bit slow, but thats due to the E2180 I suppose. Unfortunately “Intel outside” seems to be less compatible some times.
Usually I am preferring my Mandriva2010 OS, because SheepShaver is running so fine with it on my AthlonX2 machine. VB-OSE is working quite stable with Mandriva too, VESA, opticals and ethernet work, if only there was no issue with HAIKU sound.
I guess there will be no executable SheepShaver for HAIKU ever?

Would you like to point me to a thread for accessing the hosts volumes from HAIKU/VB?
I guess I could use ISO images for data transfer, but a more elegant approach would be nice.

And what did you mean with “trashs the stick fairly quickly”?
Is it going to die physically or just messed up by the OS?

Slight mistake on Audio. I was thinking guest rather than host. Host Audio Driver should be Pulse, ALSA or OSS depending which you use in (Mandriva) Linux for sound. I’m not sure which you have but I assume ALSA? For audio controller you can try both AC97 & SB16 out to see which works.

On Windows the choices are, Windows DirectSound & Null for Host Audio Drivers. Linux offers 3 different sound systems.

SheepShaver was available for BeOS long time ago. Not sure if this version works with Haiku but you can test it out.
http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/emulators/computer-systems/sheepshaver

Would you like to point me to a thread for accessing the hosts volumes from HAIKU/VB?
Are you looking to use a VB image? You can use the ISO (or anyboot) to install to new VB drive. Or convert raw image to VB one.
http://www.haiku-os.org/node/3872#comment-18164

Trashes stick fairly quickly means the usb stick will physically die quicker because same areas of the key are written over wearing them down faster. I don’t believe an issue unless you constantly delete files on the key. Keeping programs & files means other areas will get written to instead. If you’re always deleting files then that one area could get written to multiple times.

[quote=tonestone57]Slight mistake on Audio. I was thinking guest rather than host. Host Audio Driver should be Pulse, ALSA or OSS depending which you use in (Mandriva) Linux for sound. I’m not sure which you have but I assume ALSA? For audio controller you can try both AC97 & SB16 out to see which works.

On Windows the choices are, Windows DirectSound & Null for Host Audio Drivers. Linux offers 3 different sound systems.

SheepShaver was available for BeOS long time ago. Not sure if this version works with Haiku but you can test it out.
http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/emulators/computer-systems/sheepshaver

Are you looking to use a VB image? You can use the ISO (or anyboot) to install to new VB drive. Or convert raw image to VB one.
http://www.haiku-os.org/node/3872#comment-18164

Trashes stick fairly quickly means the usb stick will physically die quicker because same areas of the key are written over wearing them down faster. I don’t believe an issue unless you constantly delete files on the key. Keeping programs & files means other areas will get written to instead. If you’re always deleting files then that one area could get written to multiple times.[/quote]

Sheep shaver is for the Power Pc version of BEOS. I don’t know if it would work on a x86 system. Yes BTW using a usb to host a OS leads to fiarly quick fialure. I used one full time 80hrs a week once " nice stick 4gb model" and it died after 134hours of continus use. Granted that was windows which is a disc writing whore.

I should have read the description because I forgot that Haikuware also has PPC versions. You’re right for PowerPC BeOS only so won’t work on x86 Haiku. Someone would have to do another port for x86 Haiku (or x86 BeOS).

USB stick with Windows. Did you have swap file enabled by chance? I can’t see a USB stick dying unless you delete files many times (to overwrite the same disk areas) or use swap file (which writes to same disk area over & over). Those would kill USB stick fast. In all other cases a file is written to one area and stays there unless you delete or move it.

I tested Haiku audio in Virtual Box (3.2) on Windows XP. It worked with AC97 for me but sounded kinda hollow (weak) with so-so quality. Never bothered with OpenSound but that should work too. Haiku HDA in VB4 probably would too but not tested either.

I should have read the description because I forgot that Haikuware also has PPC versions. You’re right for PowerPC BeOS only so won’t work on x86 Haiku. Someone would have to do another port for x86 Haiku (or x86 BeOS).

USB stick with Windows. Did you have swap file enabled by chance? I can’t see a USB stick dying unless you delete files many times (to overwrite the same disk areas) or use swap file (which writes to same disk area over & over). Those would kill USB stick fast. In all other cases a file is written to one area and stays there unless you delete or move it.

I tested Haiku audio in Virtual Box (3.2) on Windows XP. It worked with AC97 for me but sounded kinda hollow (weak) with so-so quality. Never bothered with OpenSound but that should work too. Haiku HDA in VB4 probably would too but not tested either.[/quote]

Virtual memory and windows really runs like crap without it. absolutely terrorizes flash memory of all types.

Hi all,
I just wanted to report that all devices (including sound) are working now with VB4 and HAKU on my AMD-X2-64 machine.
Actually I do not know, why sound is working now, or why it didnt from the beginning.
I restarted the sound manager and HAIKU/Virtual Box a couple of times.
The motherboard is Biostar GF8100 M2+TE, if this should be of interest.

Best wishes and many thanks again!