No sound with Realtek ALC887

Hi, I have installed Haiku on my PC composed by an ASUS A55BM-E motherboard, an AMD processor, a GT730 NVidia card and a Kingston SSD. I did the software upgrade and the system work fine. Nevertheless, I have no sound with the onboard Realtek ALC887-VD. Please, does anyone know the solution to such a problem? Regards, Jorge

Does changing volume work or something like “no mixer found” is displayed?

1 Like

Have you tried using the opensound driver?

I got no error messages, like “no mixer found”. The volume control and the mixer is available and seems to work. But no sound is obtained …

I have installed opensound using HaikuDepot. After reboot I got no results. Nevertheless, I do not know how to manage or configure the opensound. Actually, I have unistalled it …

1. Open terminal window.
  2. Type ‘listimage | grep drivers | grep hda’ (you should see the hda driver)
  3. Type ’ uname -a’

If you see an driver list output for HDA and no sound working automatically (or automagically) and no
other legacy tricks seem to work (resetting media server, reboots, system updates, Haiku wiki, etc)

Read: https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/daily-tasks/blacklist-packages/

1. Blacklist HDA driver (beforehand, test nightly hrev53928 or higher Live CD as last resort)
  2. Type ‘pkgman install opensound’
  3. shutdown -r (reboot system)
  4. In desktop, go to system -> preferences -> media
  5. Review ‘HD Audio’ GUI for General, Input, Output status. (Note: You can look at Audio Mixer and MIDI GUIs as well.)
  6. In terminal, type ‘ossinfo’

Get familiar with your audio setup as this helps you isolate issues through the GUI with headphones, back audio (speakers) for multichannel setup and audio recording, audio pops, audio buffering, etc, etc.

NOTE: The main Haiku audio developers/maintainers are mmu_man and korli. :blush:

2 Likes

You can eventually try to update the system to hrev53923 or newer (without opensound).