New User with Wifi Question

Hello, all! New Haiku user here…and, for that matter, only 1-year into my exploration of Linux (which I know isn’t Haiku or even BeOS but is at least “not Windows”). I’ve installed Haiku on an Acer Aspire One 722 alongside MX Linux (an installation that’s been there for most of this year and operating fine)…and Haiku is not recognizing my wifi.

I’ve already run install-wifi-firmwares.sh (and restarted) to no avail.

I’ve searched through many of the threads here but, with most of them dating from 2011 and 2012…and with Beta 2 having been released only last month, I got to thinking maybe those discussions were dated.

So, to cut to the chase here, the wireless adapter on this Acer Aspire is an HDA-Intel – HDA ATI SB. And when I consulted https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/HardwareInfo I see that HDA is dimmed and has a ? after it.

Does this mean I’m pretty much SOL with Haiku on this particular device?

If your wlan doesnt work, than thats it, your option is to use wired connection.
For audio you can tra to blacklist the hda driver and install opensound as workaround. Consule the user guide how to blacklist drivers.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Well, again, Haiku certainly doesn’t recognize my wifi (or ANY wifi in the area for that matter) and this did not happen:

>> By default, Haiku will join the first unencrypted wireless network it finds after booting up.

I downloaded the licensed firmware (which automatically installs, correct?)

>> Now review the licenses and accept them to install all of the available firmware files

I mean, this part of the guide, talking about a download creating a zip file that needs to be extracted to /boot is talking to Windows users, correct?

>> Windows users need to have [wget] (link deleted) and [zip](link deleted) for Windows installed in their default locations and use this batch script.
>> The script will download the needed files and create a zip file that is to be extracted to Haiku’s /boot.

Fortunately (though it’s disappointing to learn it’s my only route online) I do have a hard-wire ethernet connection that can be strung rather ingloriously to my desk.

What kind of wlan-card do you have?
Can you find your wlan card in the network preferences window?

There is nothing in the network preferences window except the ethernet connection.

As reported in my initial message: “…the wireless adapter on this Acer Aspire is an HDA-Intel – HDA ATI SB. And when I consulted HardwareInfo – Haiku I see that HDA is dimmed and has a ? after it.”

That HDA-Intel – HDA ATI SB info is what’s returned by hardinfo in terminal with MX Linux, the other distro on the same device.

BTW, if I wasn’t clear in that first post…there’s nothing wrong with the wireless adapter because MX Linux – and other distros on the partition Haiku now occupies – have used it without any issues.

Intel HDA is an audio card, not a network card.

Well, that was pretty stupid of me, wasn’t it? Apologies!

Paying closer attention this time…running lspci while in MX Linux I see that the Acer Aspire One has the dreaded Broadcom BCM4313 adapter.

Re-checking the Haiku Wiki HardwareInfo I think I see that under Wlan Network Driver from FreeBSD 12 the BCM43xx entry is a live link to info that appears to show it’s supported.

And the fact remains that the Network Preferences window still shows nothing more than “atheros 813x/0 Ethernet device” and then under that are IPv4 and IPv6 (if that helps at all).

Some BCM43xx models are supported, but not yours. There is nothing you can do, except either:

• wait or
  • replace your wlan card with a supported one.
1 Like

Intel N-6235 - work fine!

Welcome to the Haiku shell.
~> listdev

device Network controller [2|80|0]
vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
device 088f: Centrino Advanced-N 6235

1 Like

Thanks for the continued help, @extrowerk…and the very honest assessment. Well it was fun while it lasted. I thought I’d give Haiku a look-see on the Acer Aspire One netbook but, it’s hardly important enough for me to go replacing a wlan card…not when MX Linux runs just fine on the same device and with the same card.

Speaking of running fine (not)…while I had the ethernet connection hooked up, I downloaded Otter Browser, then NetSurf browser, then Trojita mail. The download and the installation were, as with the installation of Haiki itself, blinding fast. Trojita mail grabbed my Inbox and other folders pretty quickly. But both of those browsers were painfully slow to load pages.

BCM4313

I’ve seen that specific wireless network card model pop up here a fair couple times already. Seems to be relatively quite common.

Indeed it is. Many distros wrestle with it (though I’ve found none prior to Haiku that didn’t at least try) and some, like MX Linux, work with it perfectly.

Howdy!

I would use the ethernet connection (if recognized) to connect to your WiFi.

I use a handy device (my favorite at this time): IOGEAR Ethernet-2-WiFi Universal Wireless Adapter (GWU637).

I use it all the time to connect my retro-PCs to my WiFi.

Good luck!

Yup. I have it and I’ve already made a topic about it back in 2018. (Driver for Broadcom BCM 4313)

Now I decided to give Haiku another go, with the same laptop, but this time I’m gonna have an Ethernet connection starting with next week so I can’t wait for it.

But a working wi-fi driver really would be a pleasant surprise. I know that the FreeBSD drivers have already been implemented, and that probably means that there’s some deeper problem with this particular card… So I just accept it as it is :slight_smile:

Yes, the FreeBSD drivers for BCM WiFi devices require a separate “bus” driver and expect to use features of FreeBSD’s device driver stack that we do not implement to interface between them, I think. Probably one could write some sort of special glue just for Haiku instead, but I never spent much time looking into it…

2 Likes