New to Haiku and Be: Where to start?

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of revitalizing an older Dell laptop, and have found that the latest Haiku beta runs pretty darn well.

Now, I have questions. Or rather, I am looking for advice on next steps.

I run a Macbook Pro for music production, and I am looking to dedicate it to this task exclusively.

For this I need Haiku to step in as the daily driver for non music tasks.

Are there any QOL apps that I ought to be looking at?

I am not afraid of using bash/pkgman if I must.

But one thing I can say for sure is that Haiku looks promising to me for reasons obvious to most of you, I would imagine. I just want a computer that is mine, single user, no logins, no accounts required, no complicated and hand holding guard rails.

Because, while I really do think my Mac is capable af there are always little things, little paper cuts, that when collected become a gaping wound.

I hate things that lock down the boot process, I’m not an idiot, I’ve been using personal computers for 40 years. Let me download whatever I wish to and risk only MY MACHINE, because it is mine.

Sorry if this got ranty, I just woke up and am working on my first cup of coffee.

Thanks to all the dev teams involved, and thanks for the users, without you and I, where would we BE?

5 Likes

Never heard of them (but I’m not a developer), welcome to Haiku, if you found something missing for running Haiku as a daily driver just give a shout :slight_smile:

1 Like

QOL means Quality of life ; )

I like to use Koder as a text editor.
qmplay2 for youtube videos, libreoffice for text processing.

2 Likes

Too many apps that I check out, main editor is either Koder or Pe, other than that I am looking to keep the port for TeXstudio on par, the same for ScummVM …

1 Like

Welcome to Haiku,
for Haiku one will find most apps in the HaikuDepot (GUI-Software for Haiku, pkgman is the commandline version.
You can easily install and uninstall apps with it!
So just try out the apps there!

1 Like

KDE ecosystem of apps is mostly fully available on Haiku.

1 Like

Some awesome responses here, and I do appreciate it. Now, after changing resolution to an unsupported resolution, my screen flickers.

Back to the drawing board…

And… I just figured it out. I did not know that by default Haiku saves snapshots of os states. It really just cemented my eternal love for Haiku that much more.

Now, onto the Depot!

1 Like

And I was wrong.

Those “states” are not complete states of the whole system, but just the package situation. That is, you reproduce the state of the installed packages (nice when some update or newly installed software was borked), but your settings and other user data is still the same. And so is your messed up screen config.

1 Like

are you using a nightly or beta3 ? lots of fixes for stuff since beta 3 , some having to do with vesa modes

1 Like

Just beta3. When I become more familiar with the system I’ll likely look into moving to a nightly build.

I use a nightly as system without problem. The beta is more then just a playground for devs. You also get more support of hardware and features with the nightlys.

We will release a beta 4 in a few weeks so it is worth waiting for it and remain on stable releases (unless you are interested in testing the latest nightlies and reporting bugs for the work in progress code).

We will try to do beta releases more often so that we don’t have all users jumping to the nightlies…

9 Likes

i think every 6 months would help, just, or at least 1x yr, you could do quartley snapshots as well. it would help the project look more active

2 Likes