New or corrected email provider info anyone?

In another thread it was mentioned, that Haiku’s E-Mail preferences can auto-fill some settings to make adding email accounts easier. The prefs recognize certain providers by the email address you enter. You can have a look which providers are supported by looking at ProviderInfos available.
Those .rdef files are filled with the necessary info, described in the ReadMe.

• Does anyone use a provider successfully via Haiku’s mail_daemon, that doesn’t have such an .rdef yet? We could add one.

• Or did you have to change settings that were incorrectly auto-filled? We could correct the settings in the .rdef.

If you can work out the right .rdef contents yourself by consulting the ReadMe, great! If not, screenshots of the E-Mail prefs “Incoming” and “Outgoing” settings are OK, too.

(Esp. a working Yahoo account would be interesting, as those currently don’t seem to work with the mail_daemon. Which might not be a configuration problem, but something else, deeper in the system…)

Thanks!

Brownie points for those who can provide email settings for accounts from one of these email providers: Mail.com, Protonmail, Mail.ru, HushMail, [Apple icloud Mail]
(https://www.icloud.com/), Tutanota, Yandex Mail, Zoho Mail

Otherwise it might make an interesting GCI task for students to sign up for email accounts and research the necessary email settings.

Actually, I think @axeld was talking about using Mozilla’s autoconfig service, rather than creating more and more rdefs? That would be much more accurate and up to date than whatever we could come up with…

As soon as Mozilla autoconfig works, we can stop this effort. For now, it’s something easily fixed/extended if people wrote in with their config.

1 Like

Here is a email setting for Telus.net (Canada):

resource(1, “POP Server”) “pop.telus.net”;
resource(2, “IMAP Server”) “imap.telus.net”;
resource(3, “SMTP Server”) “smtp.telus.net”;
resource(4, “POP Authentication”) 0;
resource(5, “SMTP Authentication”) 0;
resource(6, “POP SSL”) 0;
resource(7, “IMAP SSL”) 0;
resource(8, “SMTP SSL”) 0;
resource(9, “Username Pattern”) 1;

Here are the email settings for Shaw.ca (Canada)

resource(1, “POP Server”) “pop.shaw.ca”;
resource(2, “IMAP Server”) “imap.shaw.ca”;
resource(3, “SMTP Server”) “mail.shaw.ca:587”;
resource(5, “SMTP Authentication”) 1;
resource(6, “POP SSL”) 0;
resource(7, “IMAP SSL”) 0;
resource(8, “SMTP SSL”) 2;
resource(9, “Username Pattern”) 1;

I spent most of an afternoon reading Linux message board threads, since Shaw does not support Linux, much less Haiku. After trying various configurations based upon the Linux community experience, I found the right combination that worked for both POP/SMTP and IMAP. Verified working on my Haiku system, although IMAP crashed at least 3 times.

Note to humdinger: Don’t forget to update the Jam file!

Thanks for investigating! It’s done with hrev50675.
As before, you won’t see these new ProviderInfos (or updated Web+ Bookmarks) when updating viy “pkgman update”. Needs a fresh install…

@humdinger
Here’s what I got working for Zoho.com IMAP and SMTP. I could not get POP working, kept getting an authentication error.

resource(1, “POP Server”) “pop.zoho.com”;
resource(2, “IMAP Server”) “imap.zoho.com”;
resource(3, “SMTP Server”) “smtp.zoho.com”;
resource(5, “SMTP Authentication”) 1;
resource(6, “POP SSL”) 1;
resource(7, “IMAP SSL”) 1;
resource(8, “SMTP SSL”) 1;
resource(9, “Username Pattern”) 0;

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll add it in the near future. Maybe I can then commit a bunch in one go instead of piecemeal. :slight_smile:

It turns out that one of the largest service providers in Canada (Rogers) is using Yahoo! for their email.
So, until this ticket (https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11491) resolved Rogers and Yahoo users are out of luck.
Receiving works OK. Sending email is bung due to authentication protocols.

Yahoo can be used with IMAP if you choose a setting in the web browser from being logged in to the webmail. Pop3 requires a paid registered account.