New laptop for me

I recently bought a second-hand laptop, I was looking for a low power laptop and I found this Celeron N4120, with 4 gigs of ram and 120GB SSD.
Haiku boots like a rocket, it has only these 3/4 problems:

• the touchpad don’t work (well not a problem for me as I use a trackball)
  • the video card UHD Graphics 600 (GT1) (not much a problem as framebuffer works fine)
  • the wifi (a big problem as Realtek 8821CE is not supported and it is the only network card onboard)

so I’m writing to receive suggestions on how to solve these problems. I tried something:

• as FreeBSD 14 is out I modified the realtek-firmwares recipe on haikuports to use the latest versions, but… well… maybe this wasn’t the right step… maybe it’s not one of those portable to haiku, who knows, I’m not an expert
  • I’m trying to add UHD Graphics 600 definitions in headers/private/graphics/intel_extreme/intel_extreme.h /src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/graphics/intel_extreme/driver.cpp /src/add-ons/kernel/busses/agp_gart/intel_gart.cpp
    here the results (I added 2/3 lines in total, no more):

I defined GeminiLake as CoffeeLake group as being the same Gen (9.5)
it is just an attempt, maybe I’m not doing it right
In fact changing the resolution I get black screen.

The last problem I encounter Is a repetitive cpu intensive task when pc is idle, the task that causes this high consumption is shown in this screenshot:

3 Likes

for those who are interested here is the syslog (it will last for 6 days)

Does the wifi work on FreeBSD or OpenBSD? If yes which driver does it use? (iirc i saw that card name in the forums before but did not search)

Apparently, FreeBSD’s rwt88 driver should cover RTL8821CE (along with RTL8822CE, RTL8822BE, and RTL8723DE).

Edit: but that uses the “linuxkpi compat framework”, so seems like a no go for Haiku.

@TmTFx: I too have a netbook with an UHD 600 iGPU (Celeron N4020 on my case)… nice to see there’s hope in getting that one working (I’ll mostly care about being able to just lower the darn brightness :-D).

1 Like

for the acpi and touchoad please open a tocket each, for the intel driver you can or work more on your patch.

For the wifi it looks out of luck to me at the moment if the card is user replaceable you might be able to slot in another however.

that’s what I imagined… :frowning:

I doubt to be able doing that, but at least I’ll investigate on how it works :slight_smile:

sure! thanks for your time

Howdy!

If you have a LAN connector on this laptop (I think you do), I would use the ethernet connection (if recognized) to connect to your WiFi.

I use a handy device (my favorite at this time): IOGEAR Ethernet-2-WiFi Universal Wireless Adapter (GWU637).

I use it all the time to connect my retro-PCs to my WiFi.

Good luck!

1 Like

Unfortunately it has no ethernet adapters
anyway thank you for your suggestion

Got an unsupported internal wifi also, using a external USB adaptor (4 ports) and a external USB wifi dongle, works fine. :slight_smile:

Is the wifi actually on the board or is it an m.2 those are usually easy to swap as long as your BIOS doesn’t have a whitelist even then it can be done usually.

the only devices I have seen recently without M.2 wifi are mobile gaming handhelds since they are more like tablets.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your hint.
Before opening the laptop, I looked in hp spare parts site. It seems that there’s a M.2 2280 PM881 128GB SATA disk drive.
Can’t get further 'cause I’m not a HP employee or partner. Windows says it’s a PCIe adapter (msinfo32 information).

M.2 connectors are usually keyed, if it is intended for a SSD it will normally not accept a wifi module and vice versa.

2 Likes

Check the Maintenance and Service Guide for your model. It should list WLAN Module options.

Got these pages:

Videade di 2024-07-05 18-08-34

this is the manual

I checked on linux-hardware.org and only the first and third appear. Same driver.
if you have a spare mini-pcie WLAN module, you can try to switch anyway. Then you know if it’s worth buying one compatible with Haiku.

linux-hardware might be missleading as earlier stated the driver for those is implemented via linuxkpi on bsd… so not portable to haiku currently. Though we have a separately ported driver for some cards like that like AX200.

The older intel 9560 cards should have a pretty stable driver by this point, but AX200 series should also work. Most boards will work with any card, the exception is if your board implemets a whitelist, which we have no way to know until you try. Lenovo laptops commonly implement a whitelist and you can only use thier part numbers so even the same model wifi card with a different firmware wont’ work.

I’m talking about actual working hardware. If some people manage to use an unusual WLAN module, this could be noticed there.

Thank you, I managed buying this usb wifi dongle : TP-Link Archer T3U Nano
wich uses realtek chip rtwn in haiku

Edit: never trust products comments (maybe)… it isn’t supported by our realtek firmwares… under linux it uses:
rtw_8822bu
so in Haiku doesn’t show up
or maybe it’s just another USB problem
as there are some USB errors in syslog:
“cancel queue trasnsfers(0) for pipe 0xffffffff…”

1 Like

I know my point was just that you can’t always refer to linux-hardware because we us BSD drivers not Linux drivers. The exact hardware and features supported are usually different also for Linux and BSD drivers.

I agree. For more information, one can check for instance what it does for openbsd 6.9. It only checks for PCI and USB IDs. Obviously some hardware revisions aren’t supported for some of these IDs.

2 Likes