New category in HaikuDepot

On BeBits, there was a subcategory in the “Development” section, named “Sample Code”, that help sample code, libraries and classes that beginner developers could use in their programs. I picked up there a few convenient classes myself, including BIconCategoryView, a BView that implements icons in the tab headers, a basic calendar view etc.

I think Haiku would benefit from such a subsection in the HaikuDepot. I know most of Haiku software is open-sourced, and the sources can be easily downloaded with HaikuPorter, therefore theoretically there is no problem to get samples. But this production-level code is overloaded with functionality and lacks extensive comments that would make it easy for a beginning programmer to understand and to use it in his projects.

What do you think about this idea?

2 Likes

Would be great to get a BeBits like experience in HaikuDepot.

I’d say, as soon as too many sample source packages crowd the “Development” category in HaikuDepot, we can think about adding “Sample code” category. Until then, searching for “sample code” should show if there are any. There seem to be none in the default repos.

IMO, it’d make more sense for having tutorials with zipped up sample code attached. Anyone interested in writing tutorials can open a blog on the Haiku site.

1 Like

+1. I would prefer software catalog web site instead of HaikuDepot application. Some integration between WebPositive and package system can be implemented to install applications and adding repositories by clicking URLs.

It is mush easier to maintain and add new functionality to web site instead of application. Also it allows to have multiple software catalogs and more freedom in general.

2 Likes

-1. I think the massive amount of work Andrew put into HaikuDepot over the years does pay off.
The HaikuDepot interface is extremely responsive for me, finding and getting all details about an app is lightning fast compared to navigating some website (my internet speed isn’t great, admittedly).

People prefering a website could work on the HDS frontend if they miss anything there (or maybe provide an alternative connecting to HDS?).

1 Like

Well, it may be various opinions on software catalog formats, but I don’t think that implementing easy software installation from WebPositive would harm.

BeOS SoftwareValet also used NetPositive and web site for software catalog and downloading.

Personally, I prefer getting software from HaikuDepot/repository than downloading a HPKG from a website. Feels safer. I also don’t see much advantage in having software installable by WebPositive, just as I don’t expect Web+ to be able to expand a ZIP. Just download the file and open the appropriate app when I click on it, Expander for ZIP, HaikuDepot for HPKG.

5 Likes

The first way to attack a system is the browser. Installers and Browsers should ever be on its own.

3 Likes

I think having a store front to HaikuDepot would be worth considering.

A Store can a diffent app. Because it can come from different vendors.

I think the HaikuDepot client for Haiku is more akin to what Synaptic is for GNU/Linux. Something along the lines of GNOME Software Center or KDE Discover is what Haiku could use. I wonder if Software Valet is still trademarked.

This was discussed several times. HaikuDepot tries to be both at the same time, and as a result, it fails at both things.

As a Synaptic-style thing, it fails for example because some packages are hidden by default.

There was a thread where the problems were discussed extensively, and I think apl-haiku plans to implement the ideas from that thread at some point. But there is first a lot of work to do on the backend and making the app more efficient.

4 Likes

Hello; I had hoped to collect the ideas together, but I haven’t had time because I have been very busy in recent months. I will try to do it at some point, but I am also trying to make progress with the software too.

To be honest though, I do like the HaikuDepot approach that Stefan came up with ten years ago. It is very simple, understated and straight-forward. In retrospect I might choose to have done some things differently in the HDS web user interface, but I don’t have time for a full web front-end re-build now and doing so would write-off a substantial investment that I don’t see anybody else realistically and practically volunteering to repeat. This area is more complex than appears and to then be a success requires long-term maintenance in a fast moving environment.

Having said that, if somebody wants to leap in and make a new front-end based off HDS’s APIs and also wants to stick around to maintain it over time then please drop by the HDS mailing list to talk.

1 Like

Is that information available online?

Which information?

A description of Stefan’s approach.

1 Like

Stephan’s Approach is our current HaikuDepot. :slight_smile:

Ok. So what is the current approach?

I think HaikuDepot can be improved, but in essence it is good. What I feel is important is that there is only one place for software management. Many Linux distribution has different applications depending on what type of software it is. It is very frustrating when you do not know which one to use.

That is my opinion too.

Current approach; Stefan wrote the bulk of the initial HaikuDepot application and myself HDS. I’m currently continuing on with maintenance and enhancement of them both.

5 Likes