Oops! Sorry, my problem is very similar to “Installing new software in VMWare, internet connectivity?” submitted by Matt Stevenson. Anyway, I notice his problem has not been resolved as far as I can see, so here goes.
It’s been a while since I tried any ftp or netpositive sessions using Haiku under Vmware although I’ve been downloading vmware images regularly. So I tried the some time ago and found that I could not connect to any web sites. I went to the terminal and did an ifconfig and everything seemed in order but “ping www.google.com” results in “error: unknown host: www.google.com”. I left it alone for a while assuming that this was a temporary situation and that it would soon be fixed.
Now I’ve just tried build 24449 and alas it is still happening. If I use the network preferences applet I can change the IP address to a chosen value in Static mode but if I set the mode to DHCP the OS appears to be using the default value for failed DHCP requests i.e. 169.254.0.120. See
This happens whether I set the Virtual machine network interface to Bridged or NAT. It happens on my laptop whether I’m connected by wire or wireless.
I’ve checked what windows XP does in the same environment and the only time DHCP fails is when I"m using bridged mode for the vm interface and the laptop is connected using wireless.
I’ve also checked this on my desktop using a Windows 2000 host with the latest available version of vmware player and I am getting similar results. My laptop is a Ubuntu 7.10 host running vmware server version 1.0.4 build 56528.
Back when the DHCP had just been implemented, the whole thing just worked!
A suggestion for the programmers, maybe the network preflet could also indicate the current state of the DHCP process i.e. “failed”, “success” or “negotiating”. Currently if I bring up the network preflet while DHCP is attempting to negotiate an address it just gives me a false IP address (188.8.131.52) and indicates that it is in static mode. Under the same conditions, ifconfig indicates no IP address.
Did a little detective work using the Windows XP vm to find out the IP address of the vmware DHCP server, the netmask, default gateway and DNS server in the vm environment. If you don’t know how, open a command prompt in windows and type “ipconfig /all”. I then copied all the values into the network preflet and hit the apply button. Did a quick “ifconfig” and “route list” and everything seemed OK. Hold my breath, “ping www.google.com” and viola! “64 bytes from 184.108.40.206 yada, yada, yada”.
Next, since we are now working with a 250MB image instaed of the old 100MB I try “wget http//… the url for the latest firefox on bebits” and wget downloads the 12MB or so of firefox in 1 minute 6 seconds! I then expand the file, browse to the newly created firefox folder and run the firefox script. I get an error message and firefox aborts but, I remember behavior like this from a previous life so, I run the script again. I get a warning message about security settings and something about profiles so I hit OK and now I’m browsing the web using firefox under Haiku!!!
I guess DHCP under vmware is where the problem is.