Negative perceptions on Distrowatch

Yeah, I agree my friend. Just thinking of when you (and I) was yelling at the screen to ‘drag the image!’ How could the user be helped to discover this ability?

Although now that I look, it is mentioned in the user guide!

If you are using an image, you have to decide on the placement:

Manual lets you specify the coordinates. You can drag the picture around in the preview to the left or enter X and Y manually.

https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/preferences/backgrounds.html

1 Like

Distrowatch is read by a lot of people, including people like me who are reluctant Linux-users and who are looking (or were looking, in my case) for a better alternative.
That’s why any incorrect statements should be challenged or refuted.

1 Like

What reasons could there be for the invisibility or deplacement (e.g. extremely far to the upper left) of the Haiku logo after the first boot and invocation of SCREEN?

Who knows? If anyone is really interested, they could install the beta4 from scratch in qemu and see what’s what. As it stands, we have no idea what else the reviewer did in the possibly dozen takes it took before the snippet landed in the video.

I Think that the logo is positioned for a 640x400 (or 800x600) display. Unfortunately, it seems to remember fixed coordinates and if you are using a bigger resolution, it goes off. There’s possibility in Background app to center the image, maybe it should be set so the logo is always visible? But I’m not sure that it can remember a relative position.

As the origin is in the top left corner, increasing screen size wouldn’t be a problem. The logo then would move from the bottom right corner more toward the top left.
If you made the resolution really small, the logo could wander off the bottom right corner. But since it’s a already positioned by default for a rather low resolution, that shouldn’t be a problem either.

It would be nice to be able to use also negative numbers in any of the X and Y fields, so that the image could get aligned relative to any corner.
(Ideally, this will also change the corner of the image used for positioning)
That way the Haiku logo could always be towards the lower right, or lower left, wherever it looks more elegant, no matter what screen size the user tries it on.

DT checks it out every few years it seems.
I managed to -with still the “usbootfloppy” put it on the thinkpad.
This OS is a beast :smiley:

I’m truly grateful for what the free open source community has given me in terms of knowledge, but i do not like, particularly, how the linux community acts and behaves in general. I do not like linux in desktops as well and would prefer to use anything, because it’s not streamlined and nothing is well documented enough, while competitors such as Haiku and BSD are finely written about in their books and wikis. I’ve used outdated windows 7 and FreeBSD in different machines, but Linux is too much for me. The only community i can easily say it’s very receptive is the AntiX community, they are also friendly to legacy PC users as developers in Haiku are, and i think this view of computing as a social tool is very important.

So, i think the bad attitudes from many distributions is what motivates a lot of the attitude in distrowatch.

1 Like

Distrowatch is a Linux website, so obviously it is Linux centric, other O/S are there on tolerance, as talking points mainly/only.
Most users of other O/S know this, so don’t worry about it.
The BSDs have very good documentation, & few derivatives, so don’t need a website like Distrowatch, & generally, their users are capable of system administration.
Haiku has a following of old time users, & people who have found it to be a useful & fast desktop centric O/S.