Need help installing Haiku

I got an HP Compaq nc6320 off Ebay because according to BeSly all componets are supported. I put in the hard drive have has Haiku installed, but after the boot screen it showed a bunch of lines. I put Friday’s nightly on a CD and put that in. Once it gets by the boot screen,I get a blue background with the mouse pointer. I try to move the pointer with the touchpad, but no joy. Any recomendations to get Haiku installed? Again, it got this model because it was in my price range (sub $50) and the networking components were supported by Haiku.

Try double checking that your used computer is actually working. I suggest trying to boot up Knoppix on DVD-ROM http://knopper.net/knoppix/index.html and seeing if display and networking works (also run the Knoppix bootup menu’s memtest over night to test the memory).

I just realized that its throwing a “163-Time and Date not set” error. I’ve gotta contact the seller because based on Google research it can’t be fixed.:frowning:

There’s a Youtube video about resetting the BIOS so you can set the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1CDVDSjlew Probably needs a new clock battery too.

Hafta look at that after dinner. Thanks

Have you get haiku running?

Have you tried the vesa mode for you gfx card?

I’ve got to replace the CMOS battery to get it to work. Waiting to for battery to arrive.

I have never encountered a computer that the function of the machine was impaired because of a dead CMOS battery… aside from some really old hateful IBM machines…

From what I read, this is a common problem with this model, which I did not know before I bought it.

i suppose… hp has been doing some pretty retarded things in recent years, and i’d personally never purchase an hp anything :stuck_out_tongue: i did encounter a rather nice newer acer notebook that all the hardware was supported in haiku.

1 Like

I chose this model because it cost me less than $50. This is caused by a combination of cheapness and a lack of extra cash. But I do want to get Haiku running on bare metal.

I just thought I’d update you guys aboutmy quest to get Haiku running on bare silicone. I have come to the realization that the HP Compaq nc6320 laptop is having harware issues. In the past I’ve tried to get Haiku running on Dell Latitude D630, but was unable to get the wifi working. We recently switched to a new internet company and got a new wifi router. I decided to try installing Haiku again and the internet works with the new router. Time to learn some yab. :slight_smile:

That’s good news!

If you need some help ask us, bbjimmy clasqm, lorglas and my self are active yab devs.

1 Like