My wish list

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum (and new to BeOS), and that’s my wish list for Haiku:

• Video-Chat like Apple’s iChat, compatible to iChat and AIM, later support for H.264
  • a good adress book and calendar app/PIM
  • support for Bluetooth
  • ability to sync cell phone and PIM
  • OpenOffice
  • Java SDK
  • support for notebooks (power management, processor throttling, suspend, battery fuel status, …)
  • something like Apple’s Exposé
  • something like Apple’s iTunes
  • a tool for managing Apple’s iPod

Thomas

1 Like
schlesi wrote:
Hi all,

I’m new to this forum (and new to BeOS), and that’s my wish list for Haiku:

• Video-Chat like Apple’s iChat, compatible to iChat and AIM, later support for H.264
  • a good adress book and calendar app/PIM
  • support for Bluetooth
  • ability to sync cell phone and PIM
  • OpenOffice
  • Java SDK
  • support for notebooks (power management, processor throttling, suspend, battery fuel status, …)
  • something like Apple’s Exposé
  • something like Apple’s iTunes
  • a tool for managing Apple’s iPod

Thomas

Hey…, HAIKU is not a new version of MacOS. :wink:
this is BeOS, it has its own style of doing and presenting things… watch for the best…
Your wish list seems to be very challenging for the time being.

:arrow: But i strongly support the support for Blutooth and the ability to sync cell phones and PIM with BeOS. This is to be considered seriously since more and more people are now using their cellphone PIM to Sync with their PC.

but…
the main problem here is…
to sync your cell phones or PIMs with BeOS the driver software must be provided by the manufacturer of that product.
This is a big problem since currently there are no such manufacturers who develop driver softwares for BeOS.

I think for this, we may have to wait for a really long time…

ashkarkm wrote:

Quote:
Hey.., HAIKU is not a new version of MacOS. this is BeOS, it has its own style of doing and presenting things.. watch for the best.. Your wish list seems to be very challenging for the time being.

Yes, I like using Mac OS X :wink: What I like on Exposé is to get a quick overview on each open window. I don’t want to make Haiku to a new version of MacOS :wink: May be this feature could be implemented in the BeOS way.

Quote:
he main problem here is.. to sync your cell phones or PIMs with BeOS the driver software must be provided by the manufacturer of that product. This is a big problem since currently there are no such manufacturers who develop driver softwares for BeOS.

There’s an open source app that enables the Outlook-clone Evolution to sync with some cell phones: http://multisync.sourceforge.net/ . It should be possible to use this code to make a sync app for Haiku, I think.

Thomas

schlesi wrote:
ashkarkm wrote:
Quote:
he main problem here is.. to sync your cell phones or PIMs with BeOS the driver software must be provided by the manufacturer of that product. This is a big problem since currently there are no such manufacturers who develop driver softwares for BeOS.

There’s an open source app that enables the Outlook-clone Evolution to sync with some cell phones: http://multisync.sourceforge.net/ . It should be possible to use this code to make a sync app for Haiku, I think.

Thomas

Yes, it seems interesting, lets hope that someone would come up and port it… It would be really exciting if an option to sync with these cellphones are integrated to HAIKU…

Is anyone out there?

1 Like

Hi guys,

sorry for the following bad english.

Exposè is really cool, it gives an interesting visual feedback to the user, but the deskbar+workspaces ( the app, not the feature) is much better.

However I want to share an idea I had some days ago about the <a href=“http://www.tunetrackersystems.com/bedocs/documentation/User’s%20Guide/02_advanced/Advanced03_Twitcher.html”>twitcher</a>.

I think that the whole beos community knows this feature, you can switch between running apps by pressing CTRL+TAB , or holding that keybindings will appear a window where you can select your task using arrow keys or your mouse.

It would be great if the twitcher ver 2.0 could have a smarter behavior, like to switch between only the active windows; with active windows I mean those where the user is working, like writing some text, pressing some widgets ,moving/resizing the window itself,etc.

An example: I have 10 apps running for a total of 15 windows opened in different workspaces, but some of those are visible and unused, like boneyard preflet, the trash folder, a readme file opened with StyledEdit, while I’m using some windows like another StyledEdit window where I’m composing a new file , BeIDE to editing a .cpp file , im_client to chat with a contact and Firefox to post in this forum.

If there are 10 apps opened I have to press CTRL+TAB several times to reach the wanted window with the normal twitcher, while having a smarter version I can press only (in example) [F9] to switch between recently used windows, so, if I’m in StyledEdit and I press once F9 then it’ll switch to BeIDE, another press to go to im_client, another one and I’ll be able to leave my comments with FireFox.

The “mutant” twitcher should filter the app_server in input to match which windows are currently used ( in example if there are some apps that are sucking CPU cycles like Helios during burning or HandBrake during ripping/encoding they should be ignored because there isn’t no human interaction with those windows), then it with an appropriate input-server filter you can switch to the most recently used windows( in the latest x minutes ), the most active ( total time of utilization) or the most switched ones( absolute times), with different keystrokes (F9/F10/F11).

That’s all folks,
zuMi

I dusted off an old post because I can’t find the thickest one.

1. BitLocker port - folder encryption something like zip-o-matic or encryption of haiku packages for various users
  2. Two monitors on Vesa driver it’s possible?

a web browser that works well

more people who lend a hand and fewer who just demand :wink:

6 Likes

I personally find that the Haiku browsers are not perfect, but have improved alot and are quite good. Both Epiphany/Gnome Web and WebPositive.

Non tech savvy people cannot help with code

No, web positive is far from mediocre.
Even gnome web crashes quite often and does not open video at all on streaming sites.
Connecting to the internet flawlessly is
No 1 priority
for every user in the 21st century.

A good web browser is absolutely necessary.
Maybe the few developers of Haiku should concentrate on this problem , above all.

I repeat, I LOVE Haiku.

It’ s really a pity it does not have ONE well-functioning web browser…

libreoffice + perfect web browser + modern becjk
that’s all.
just for productivity.

1 Like

It’s always encouraging to get feedback of “far from mediocre” with no justification and no bug reports or patches to acompany it! That really motivates my work on haikuwebkit, especially after coordinating the last release! : D

1 Like

It’s always easy to say that this and that is bad or needs to be improved. Yes. Of course, a modern, stable browser is very important these days. That’s why work is being done on a browser for haiku. Some developers have already invested so much time in this project that one should rather be grateful for how far they have come with so few people. Because it’s not just porting a browser, it’s developing a real web solution for Haiku. Then there are the updates from the WebKit, which then has to be taken into account again during development. This can result in small, but also big problems and hurdles.

I take my hat off to the work being done here. I think making a browser that fulfills everything and also fits the system and knows how to use its strengths is a mammoth task.

All I hear here is this browser is better and this one can do that and I know this one from that one and it has to work. Do not think that this whining will help to promote the progress of the project, but rather lead to the developers being demotivated.

I read here again libre office in the list of wishes, we already have this office. And no, an office is not necessarily a component of a system. Therefore this is usually a 3rd party product. If nobody writes another office, we have to live with what others port to us. The same applies to the browser at the moment, if you don’t like the current status, then help by reporting problems (BugTracker) and not just complaining about them. Use the ports as long as they help you to do what you want. Otherwise we have to wait until the browser is ready.

Also a huge respect to the diligent porters who expand Haiku with their work and make working with Haiku more extensive and productive

Haiku is beta

2 Likes

Yes, that’s true and I’m a big fan of seeing everything from the user’s point of view and I’m always committed to this. Laying it out by hand does not necessarily always mean programming. There are other ways to help. Report errors via the appropriate platform, give suggestions, create tutorials (we have a good knowledge base that unfortunately receives little help from the community), motivate developers, tell external people about haiku, motivate external developers, donate to full-time developers, etc.

How to help

If you only complain in the forum that this and that doesn’t work, it throws a bad image outwards, because what is actually done is presented in a distorted way and discourages rather than motivates new people.

You’re definitely not alone here with your frustration, I think the people working on the browser would be happier if it were easier, but things don’t always go the way you want them to.

1 Like

there are some problem about chinese fonts with libreoffice.
so, it is perfect for English , not Chinese.
it is my wish for me.

and, the web browser
otter is little old. it is the fully function web browser which i found out in Haiku.

Common software are very important, even the 3rd application.

However, LibreOffice is 3rd party and not Haiku System, so you will report this problem to the porters or probably even more to the libroffice developers.

The Chinese character problem with Libre Office has more to do with being a Qt framework port than with anything to do with anything Haiku native. If it weren’t so complicated to do native GUI add-ons for Libre Office it might have been easier to fix.

I have Linux and Haiku installed on my PC. I recommend that for everyone who likes to experiment with Haiku AND has high demands on an OS.

Take Linux for Youtube and Webradio right now. And take Haiku for tinkering.

And I’m really sure Web and Web+ are already quite powerful. Edit: For me that’s a fact.