My progress in Wayland compatibility layer

Wayland is only a protocol, as such it has no graphics drivers itself. It’s not really a replacement for all_server, and we don’t need to replace it.

1 Like

GIMP 2.99.12

31 Likes

great job, thank you very much! but what do you choose for the icon this time? :wink: apart from the jokes, congratulations

1 Like

Very great to see.

But i waiting for Wonderbrush 3.0 (native) too

8 Likes

Gimp 2.99.12 looks very nice on Haiku. Any idea when a package will be available? Also, now that Haiku has 2 versions of Gimp (Wayland and Xlib versions), how does HaikuDepot cope with this scenario?

3 Likes

2 critical functions are missing for Wayland implementation to be released:

1. Keymap switching.
  2. Clipboard and drag&drop (internally handled in mostly the same way).

It is possible to build GTK 3 with both X11 and Wayland backends.

9 Likes

There used to be an office suite for Be called “Productive”. Combine them together and you get, “Be Productive”. I thought it was very clever and I even paid for this software and then Be died (I still have the Be Demo where the person in charge of that at Be gave a tour of Be and they have the Be song at the BEginning (I just noticed that as I was typing it).

Anyway, I am pretty sure that Be Productive isn’t compatible with Haiku but I haven’t tried it. I haven’t had stand-a-line PC hardware for quite a while. I LOVED Be. It was and is the ONLY OS that I ever loved. The OS/2 2.0 beta was a distant second and Windows is about 50,000 down from the top.

If I could figure out a way to run Haiku on either a Pi machine (if it can I will order one yesterday so I can get this up and running) or on top of MacOS I will run it that way. I don’t need access to external hardware except a hard drive to install Haiku on and run it from there that would BE great!

But to answer your question. Ported software LOOKS like ported software. Menus are all non native and if you don’t care a crap about how things look then fine, use anything you find and don’t worry about the rest of us.

But when I’m in France I want things to LOOK French even if words are translated. Things in France (or any place) have a regional look. I’m not at Epcot where it is Disney with Disney signs for all the countries. I’m literally in France or some other place in the world, I want to FEEL like I’m there. I paid money to get the feeling for THAT country. Not a Disney or McDonalds or Starbucks theme all over the place.

And that’s how I feel about programs on operating systems. If I’m going to use it, I want the programs I use to FEEL like they belong. I want to BE ( smile) in that country … I mean OS. Do you get it now?

2 Likes

This is not always true. At the moment an application written in Qt5/Qt6 looks almost completely native since it uses the BControlLook interface to draw elements.
There is an unfinished theme for GTK that provides some similarity to the native interface. It can be finished and get a native look (with some problems, but still better than nothing).

3 Likes

This is not always true.

It is not true then we or at least I wouldn’t care as long as it runs as a Haiku application and looks like a Haiku application then I’m fine with it. Before I got the whole **** kicked out me from diabetes (caught late, almost killed me, had a stroke, lost 70% of how much I can remember at any given time, many times harder to program simple programs let alone complex ones which frustrate the total f’ing hell out of me. But that’s MY problem).

When I did program I programmed for five different OSs not counting drivers for unique printing systems. I was at the time able to make it so that my OS specific parts were separated into different files from the core of my programs and I was able to run makes for each OS for the same program and they looked like the OS they were running on. I did that for about eight years and then diabetes and stroke. So I’m totally for taking core of programs and porting them over as long as they look and run on the OS they were designed for.

1 Like

Look into virtualization.

How tired of this whiners for “native”. Stop crying and write native apps. Don’t use ported apps. What is the problem? Don’t use ported drivers for network. Write your own.

10 Likes

Any software that users are familiar with on other systems makes it easier for them to use haiku. Or better, make it possible to take a look at haiku at all. Porting is an important point in system development (not in the programming point of view).

5 Likes

Ever been to La Défense in Paris? It’s basically Canary Wharf, or Hudson Yards, or Sydney’s CBD.

Things can look universal and still be beautiful and useful.

“Things can look universal and still be beautiful and useful.” Yes but I’d rather French things LOOK French like French street signs. There is a reason why we go to other places. We don’t want them to look like where we are from. That is the WHOLE POINT of going other places. Otherwise I might as well stay home.

Why bother using Haiku if it looks like Windows (except that it is fast and it doesn’t crash and …).

There is a reason why I fell emotionally in love when I saw BeOS for the first time in 1995 ( see BeOS DEMO VIDEO - YouTube ) and why I’ve NEVER loved DOS or Windows. It is the LOOK of BeOS which Haiku is trying to keep for the most part.

Yes, some things can look different but given two programs, one looks like Haiku/BeOS and one looks like Linux, if I’m running Linux I will pick the Linux program. If I’m using Haiku/BeOS I will pick the program that LOOKS like Haiku/BeOS.

The code for how it works doesn’t matter where it comes from. The person you fall in love with, it MATTERS what they look like. There is a REASON why you are attracted to person A and not B. It MATTERS what is inside but no matter what they are inside if you aren’t attracted to their looks, forget about it.

Also, if they look great and they are an a**hole and you are “normal” you won’t want to be with them. It takes both looks AND what is inside for most people.

That’s true with applications on OSs too. Okay? And it doesn’t mean that I’m not attracted to other women. But I’m not dropping my wife for another woman unless she turns into an a**hole or I do and neither of us are, thank you very much. So I will stick with my wife.

Worked there (expo) a few times, has been a nice experience back then. :wink:

I think this is what theming is for. So a decent set of Qt and GTK themes would go a long way towards achieving what you want.

1 Like

@X512 Great work!

5 Likes

Anyone knows how to change the colors for the gtk apps, they look so foreign with their default colors, i tried creating settings files but they are totally ignord! abviously i’m doing something wrong, because i saw it work for ohers.
Any help is appreciated or better yet a sample file.

My repository has packages available for testing wayland, as well as libraries and applications that work with it.

• gtk+
  • Gimp
  • Inkscape
  • Epipnay (GNOME Web)
  • Claws-mail
  • AbiWord
  • HandBrake

photo_2022-10-31_08-30-32

photo_2022-10-31_08-30-40

photo_2022-10-31_08-30-48

PS: Known problems at this time:

1. keyboard layout switching does not work (waiting for @X512 to implement this functionality)
  2. if programs crash on startup (errors in the terminal on the opening of images, icons, etc.) - you need to check the existing folder /boot/home/config/non-packages/data/mime and remove it.
40 Likes

That super amazing!

1 Like