My progress in Wayland compatibility layer

Firefox “almost” worked
otter “almost” worked
falcon “almost” worked,
Nice there is another one on the list.
Granted webkit is not a bad engine but honestly, it sounds more like your time would be better spend fixing git? Webkit is Very close to a working webkit2, with cairo and curl, and it would have taken less time than doing all this other stuff you had to do to port gtkwebkit.

It never worked past Firefox version 2 that is more then 10 years old and incompatible with modern web.

Webkit Qt backend is abandoned :frowning:

Need too much resources to build. Of course it is not possible to fix crashes without building it. And Google is too negative at accepting patches for not so widely used OSes. For Webkit we at least in theory have possibility to upstream Haiku backend.

I would prefer that WebPositive will stay on native Haiku backend. It is a great chance to improve app_server 2D graphics rendering. It is nothing wrong to have 3rd-party web browser such as Epiphany. Windows users often install Chome that don’t look native anywhere.

8 Likes

Yes, it would be best. And personally I am working on improving the rendering of it.
But stuff like webkit2 is out of my comfort zone, webkit is not “that” scary imo. If you want to take a shot to make that build go ahead :wink:

Yes, users install chrome, and with it all the tracking that comes with it. Honestly I am happy chrome and firefox don’t run on Haiku. Epiphany is great but it will never be native or close to it, Personally I want an awesome webpositive. Though epiphany is nice to test against (I use safari on my phone for that also :D)

4 Likes

Yes, having both is nice :slight_smile:

I was just reacting to your statement that WebKit GTK is “best realistic option in current situation”, and wanted to say that haikuwebkit is not that far behind.

All options are worth experimenting. And it’s also possibly good to stop going too far in a direction when it proves too complicated, costly (in terms of time sepnt), or just because things don’t go as expected and someone decide to abandon their engine as happened to QtWebKit.

It still all results in learning new things about web engines and porting software, so, not all is lost, even if there is in the end not so much progress for users during these steps.

16 Likes

Amazing work! Gnome Web is currently working on support for extensions, using the same format as Firefox. This will hopefully bring it closer to more established web browsers.

I also highly disagree with complaints that applications are being ported to Haiku. What would you actually do on Haiku without foreign applications? A Haiku without:

SDL
Emulators
Webkit
freetype
ffmpeg
GCC

There wouldn’t be any applications left. And let’s not forget about drivers. The ported network drivers, or the 3D acceleration that is being worked on shouldn’t happen either then, because drivers are being ported from another OS, instead of being written from scratch. This is pure insanity.

3 Likes

31 posts were split to a new topic: Port of Gnome Web (Epiphany)

A handful of questions

Could wayland be a replacement for the app server ?

Can the graphics drivers from wayland be recompiled on haiku and run under system control?

Wayland is only a protocol, as such it has no graphics drivers itself. It’s not really a replacement for all_server, and we don’t need to replace it.

1 Like

GIMP 2.99.12

31 Likes

great job, thank you very much! but what do you choose for the icon this time? :wink: apart from the jokes, congratulations

1 Like

Very great to see.

But i waiting for Wonderbrush 3.0 (native) too

8 Likes

Gimp 2.99.12 looks very nice on Haiku. Any idea when a package will be available? Also, now that Haiku has 2 versions of Gimp (Wayland and Xlib versions), how does HaikuDepot cope with this scenario?

3 Likes

2 critical functions are missing for Wayland implementation to be released:

1. Keymap switching.
  2. Clipboard and drag&drop (internally handled in mostly the same way).

It is possible to build GTK 3 with both X11 and Wayland backends.

9 Likes

There used to be an office suite for Be called “Productive”. Combine them together and you get, “Be Productive”. I thought it was very clever and I even paid for this software and then Be died (I still have the Be Demo where the person in charge of that at Be gave a tour of Be and they have the Be song at the BEginning (I just noticed that as I was typing it).

Anyway, I am pretty sure that Be Productive isn’t compatible with Haiku but I haven’t tried it. I haven’t had stand-a-line PC hardware for quite a while. I LOVED Be. It was and is the ONLY OS that I ever loved. The OS/2 2.0 beta was a distant second and Windows is about 50,000 down from the top.

If I could figure out a way to run Haiku on either a Pi machine (if it can I will order one yesterday so I can get this up and running) or on top of MacOS I will run it that way. I don’t need access to external hardware except a hard drive to install Haiku on and run it from there that would BE great!

But to answer your question. Ported software LOOKS like ported software. Menus are all non native and if you don’t care a crap about how things look then fine, use anything you find and don’t worry about the rest of us.

But when I’m in France I want things to LOOK French even if words are translated. Things in France (or any place) have a regional look. I’m not at Epcot where it is Disney with Disney signs for all the countries. I’m literally in France or some other place in the world, I want to FEEL like I’m there. I paid money to get the feeling for THAT country. Not a Disney or McDonalds or Starbucks theme all over the place.

And that’s how I feel about programs on operating systems. If I’m going to use it, I want the programs I use to FEEL like they belong. I want to BE ( smile) in that country … I mean OS. Do you get it now?

2 Likes

This is not always true. At the moment an application written in Qt5/Qt6 looks almost completely native since it uses the BControlLook interface to draw elements.
There is an unfinished theme for GTK that provides some similarity to the native interface. It can be finished and get a native look (with some problems, but still better than nothing).

3 Likes

This is not always true.

It is not true then we or at least I wouldn’t care as long as it runs as a Haiku application and looks like a Haiku application then I’m fine with it. Before I got the whole **** kicked out me from diabetes (caught late, almost killed me, had a stroke, lost 70% of how much I can remember at any given time, many times harder to program simple programs let alone complex ones which frustrate the total f’ing hell out of me. But that’s MY problem).

When I did program I programmed for five different OSs not counting drivers for unique printing systems. I was at the time able to make it so that my OS specific parts were separated into different files from the core of my programs and I was able to run makes for each OS for the same program and they looked like the OS they were running on. I did that for about eight years and then diabetes and stroke. So I’m totally for taking core of programs and porting them over as long as they look and run on the OS they were designed for.

1 Like

Look into virtualization.

How tired of this whiners for “native”. Stop crying and write native apps. Don’t use ported apps. What is the problem? Don’t use ported drivers for network. Write your own.

10 Likes

Any software that users are familiar with on other systems makes it easier for them to use haiku. Or better, make it possible to take a look at haiku at all. Porting is an important point in system development (not in the programming point of view).

5 Likes

Ever been to La Défense in Paris? It’s basically Canary Wharf, or Hudson Yards, or Sydney’s CBD.

Things can look universal and still be beautiful and useful.