My progress in porting Wine

Hi there,

I’ve install wine_bin on the latest nightly to give it a try.
Although I can run the included .exe applications (explorer, notepad), every external 64bit I’ve tried so far ends up in internal error starting from explorer.exe or from the terminal command wine64 /path to exe inside c_drive.
I’ve tried 64bit installers for filezilla and notepad+.
Am I missing something?

1 Like

No, installers are usually 32 bit even for 64 bit software.

4 Likes

@Roberto_Costa it’s possible to use Portable zip version of Notepad++.

@X512 I added new File Type for Windows app with .exe extensions associate to Winelauncher, but I fail to start app directly from tracker. Do i forget something ? update: i set the windows exe file to application/x-win32-pe and it can be started directly. Nice

4 Likes

How far are we from fixing this?

I made some successful experiments with 64-32 mode switching in UserlandVM. But TLS registers control need special kernel support with manipulating GDT/LDT entries.

For current Wine version running 32 bit host OS applications seems required, so UserlandVM x86 guest or old ia32 compat kernel patch shpuld be completed. Or wait until Wine itself implements full 64 bit support without host OS multilib.

6 Likes

Doesn’t it already for macos?

It use special LLVM Clang patches to generate 64-32 thunks that is rejected by mainstream Wine.

2 Likes

I have juste supported X512 on PayPal for his great work on Wine and Wayland!

13 Likes

I also send out sort of regulary some money to X512 because of his 3D HW acceleration development. I plan later to support Haiku-OS with about the same amount of money a month. Not that much, but hope it helps a bit. Lets see.

9 Likes

By the way one of Wine devs answered on the wine forum:

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=36106

3 Likes

Nice, then wine will become very useful now great!

question:
sooo … wine + vulkan + dxvk = AAA videogames on haiku? :laughing:

I honestly hope not. Modern AAA games are so utterly hell-bent on making an immersive experience that I consider the entertainment value to be insufficient. Conceptually it’s possible though.

Your hope that it doesn’t happen doesn’t make too much sense, I mean, it almost automatically happens…
If you will have good wine support and a gpu that is capable of accelerating vulkan it happens…
I’m sorry you’ll have no hope of that not happening :joy:

1 Like

I honestly miss the coin-op arcade conversions when the maximum length of gameplay was the amount of time you could stand in front of a cabinet without your feet getting sore. Now the gameplay is so involved that it takes weeks to finish.

I got the data files of Morrowind for free on an anniversary special deal. No Windows machine? No problem! Just download OpenMW and enjoy better graphics support than the original Windows-specific code ever supported back in the day! I’ve never played it through until the end and doubt I ever will. I only even look at it once in a blue moon and have to start over because I can’t remember where I left off!

2 Likes

Yes… we have a wine port unable to run most windows software and a gpu driver that isnt even available, doesnt run on most hardware and provided an api that is used only very rarely… Kind of seems lile a big gap towards “runs most AAA games”

3 Likes

AAA Games are not said to be more complex than some windows software…
maybe they won’t all run (it doesn’t even happen on linux) but some will surely run…Obviously having GPU accelerated.
Radeons are close, and opensource linux drivers for nvidia are coming out of beta status. (these aren’t on haiku, but it’s no doubt much easier to have development for haiku as well)
I’m not that pessimistic and seeing that everything is accelerating, it’s easy for these things to happen within a few months…

Oh damn. Great work!

Hm… so do I get it right I could try my game engine (opengl) over zink/vulkan to see it it picks up some speed? Would be interesting to try. I don’t have a vulkan render yet though since converting a optimized opengl to vulkan is not a quick job to do.

See: Migrating from OpenGL to Vulkan (gputechconf.com)