My Gateway NV-55c running Haiku x64 and some thoughts

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my Gateway NV-55c Laptop that I’ve owned for (at this time) 13 years.

Specs:

2.8Ghz (Two cores LOL)
8gb Ram
640G SSD Main HDD
1tb SSD HDD in the DVD ROM Bay
9 Cel Extended Battery

I had been running Linux Mint for some time on it as I do with all of my machines. I was just getting bored and I needed a new frontier to explore. I had originally attempted vanilla BeOS with some mixed success. I used BeOS in the late 90’s thanks to a friend who fanatically installed it on a harddrive for use on one of my many desktops. There was always something that stuck with me from using it.

What I liked about it was it didn’t feel like a generic Windows computer (At the time I used Win98 and NT for everything) It had a Mac feel in the sense that it was this noiseless environment, everything felt very personalized. I really enjoyed the bit of exclusivity using BeOS brought with it. It was really the last time I remember the Computers and the Internet really feeling like a fun sandbox test-bed.

I have no real goals other than challenging myself to use it everyday and install new software (I’m on day 15).

I guess i really wanted to thank everyone for supporting it and to keep encouraging people to make it great!

(Tried to upload an image here on Web Positive, does not seem to work)

4 Likes

You could try with Otter-Browser if WebPositive fails (it mostly works for me but sometimes I need to switch too) to upload images.
On another note, welccome back then from old BeOS days :slight_smile:

Thank you for the welcome. My next challenge is to get my phone mounted as a drive for general file transfer. I did successfully mount an MP3 player. One of my other tests about a year ago was to cut myself off of streaming. I forgot how much I liked curating my own media! I think on the agenda today is setting up access to my network drive where I keep all my media files.

At “basic user” trust level, it might not matter what browser you use. After you’ve read enough topics on Discourse it’ll upgrade you to a “user” trust level.

I believe you are right :slight_smile: I will try later after i have read more topics!

Welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

I mainly use Linux, but have BSD, & now Haiku as alternative operating systems.

What brought me here was r1b4, it worked on my computers, (previous betas had failed, one way or another).

Same here! I tried to use Haiku on this same machine in the past with no success. I was blown away when I booted this machine having thought it would hang on hardware discovery! This functions so much smoother than Linux Mint did and worlds better than Windows 7 (originally packed in with this hardware). There are quite a few compromizes but for a no nonesense desktop with real usability it’s pretty good