My First Week with Haiku | Haiku Project

As you boot your first non-Windows, non-Unix system, you may have a moment when you wonder if this thing is going to work. It’s not from the same family of systems you’re used to: It’s Haiku, and it’s totally different and unique. The great part, though, is when it works better than you could’ve possibly imagined.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/animortis/2021-04-27_my_first_week_with_haiku/
21 Likes

Excellent! Looking forward to your ongoing journey into the world of Haiku. Be sure to read up on attributes (BFS), hey scripting, queries, and if you try 32bit some old Be apps.

This reads like the opening to a book I can’t wait to keep reading! I absolutely love it. You are a gifted writer and it’s an honor to have you on our team!

7 Likes

Really well written and as shaka444 says. Could not stop reading :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great write up! :clap:
For me, I didn’t grow up with Windows, only as an young adult I came into contact with computers (late 80s), my first contact there was with DOS (and GEM (I think, don’t even remember it)) :slight_smile:
First Windows contact was 3.11 and grew further up to Windows 95, at that time I came across with alternate OS’s , first contact there was RH 5.1 (which didn’t really suited me), so started after that with SuSE 6.0, with some fidling with the kernel rebuilds I managed to get that up and running.
Then came BeOS, it blew my mind on what it was capable for!
Your write reminded on when I first met BeOS, thanks for that!

1 Like

Really nice write about a BeOs to Haiku user.
Me too remember all this stages and hassles with Microsoft and DOS.

Anyway you are a real good writer, hope to see more from your writings in the future.

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone! I really do think we have something special here. I’m looking forward to helping spread the word about Haiku and what has been accomplished by our amazing dev team!

5 Likes

That’s a really good post. I felt pretty much the same when I first discovered Haiku a few months ago. It’s a great OS and I want to move over to Haiku completely some day. I think it’s also a good first step for me to learn something about application programming as Haiku is not as complicated as GTK or Qt. And I like how Haiku is still focusing on the traditional desktop and doesn’t just bring a mobile interface to a big screen like GNOME does.

9 Likes