MSI MPG X570 Only Left Mono Audio

Hey all,

I have a custom built machine with Haiku running for a radio station. I ended up having to run Open Sound OSS to get audio to work but I did have some issues setting it up (getting audio output) over a year ago. Now I am finding that it’s actually only outputting audio from the left mono channel. This MB has bunches of plus for surround and I am thinking that is the issue but figured I would check with the experts :slight_smile:

To add I have also turned on and off all the different speaker outputs but none seem to enable a “right” output (stereo)

Charlie

1 Like

Welcome Cvillard!

Can’t give concrete help, I’m afraid. Did you already try to activate the setting “Allow output channel remapping” of the audio mixer in the Media preferences? It add a new tab “Output mapping” where you may be able to find and remap your missing right channel.

Otherwise you could create a ticket at Trac with all available info, see Reporting bugs

Did you try with headphones as well?

I did try headphones and I get the same result unfortunately

Did you try a nightly build or beta3?

I’ve got the MSI Tomahawk x570, I expect it has the same sound chip, I get good audio with cold boot (for last 18 months), but if I boot to Windows first, sound is garbled. This is with default drivers (no OpenSound System, never tried that. Try cold booting Haiku with OSS disabled and see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

I will give it a shot!

So I noticed something odd, if I click the master volume and movie it JUST slightly, the right side audio pops on! It’s weird but seems to pull it out of it.

1 Like

Sounds to me like the right-side volume control and some other registers are not properly initialized by the driver. If @Zenja is using the same chip that would explain that also.

Have you seen this bug report:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/16070

I had a similar issue with a single application (MediaPlayer), where audio was only coming from left speaker (no audio on right speaker). Other apps worked fine. Read the linked bug report to see how I managed to resolve the issue (using Cortex). You may have triggered the same bug I did years ago.

Good luck.

1 Like

You can add a setvolume (unsure, not on Haiku right now) invocation to your UserBootScript to trigger the volume change at boot as a workaround.

Hmm… So it seems that the chip is recognized by both OSS and a Haiku ‘native’ driver.
Could it be that you forgot to blacklist the Haiku driver when using the OSS one?