Move QuickLaunch binary?

Hi there!

I need some feedback. In the old BeOS tradition of putting a binary and its docs into a folder in the “apps” directory, QuickLaunch does just that. At least since package management, so about a decade maybe, there’s a better place for docs, the “documentation” directory.

Now, I’d like it better if QuickLaunch installed directly in “apps”, not in an “apps/QuickLaunch/” folder. It’d be in $PATH and alpha-sorts humbly among the other apps there instead of placing its “QuickLaunch” folder pompously at the top. Also, there may be a some documentation aggregating app in the future to access all help files put in the “documetation” folder, which then wouldn’t find QuickLaunch’s docs (though this is pretty hypothetical ATM).

However. Most users have probably a Shortcuts keycombo assigned to launch it, which would break if the app was moved…

So, what do you think:

• Move the QuickLaunch binary - all users need to adjust their Shortcuts path.
  • Keep as is - People don’t care about the optics in the “apps” folder or $PATH etc.
0 voters

(Same goes for “Clipdinger”, though that one isn’t controversial, as its path isn’t relevant.)

Better now in Beta than later! Now it doesn’t matter that much!

I was wondering about it and I came to conclusion that a native app should show the example otherwise, it makes difficult to enforce rules for others.
So either, you provide it as an archive file or in old pkg format following old BeOS rules or, you provide an hpkg and follow Haiku rules. For convenience, I opted for second choice.

Since our OS is in beta status it shouldn’t be used for critical productive use anyway. Better to clean things up even if it comes with small inconvenience. I have QuickLaunch installed on my Haiku machines and I don´t mind a little update work. Speaking of that, I have the QuickLaunch replicator installed in Deskbar. Will that be affected too?

As it will still be in the path, I don’t think so. At worst, you will have to launch QuickLaunch once from the menu, not a big deal.

If you are savvy enough to set up Shortcuts, you are savvy enough to go in and edit them when they stop working.

Nope. It’s started via app signature, so it doesn’t matter where the binary is located.

Sure. I was just wondering if the inconvenience of something breaking is worth it. Current poll results seem to say so…

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

I added a check for the old QuickLaunch location in the Shortcuts preferences that’ll pop up an alert with the option to launch the Shortcuts prefs so the user can update the path.
That’ll be removed once everyone can be assumed to be on the new release.
What will stay is a new button to open the Shortcuts preference as convenience in the Setup window.

That means, there are a few additional strings to translate. Translators, if you please:
QuickLaunch at Polyglot. Thank you!

indonesian done

1 Like

You don’t have permissions to translate anything.

Would you mind to allow me to translate it in Russian?

I’d love to! You need to register at Polyglot (needs a github account). At least I cannot find a “suhr” there…

I guess it uses github name rather than github login. Try finding “Сухарик”.

Found you! :slight_smile:
Happy translating!

1 Like