Most long-standing XHCI (USB 3.0+) issues resolved! | Haiku Project

Amazing work well done and thumbs up.
How to test it the best way to make it even better?

Fixing usb3 drive means new Haiku beta, as I understand…

1 Like

The second beta is still scheduled for this September. I’d like to fix the remaining boot failures I mentioned in this post (well, @Greg.Crain is looking into those, for now) and then maybe get isochronous transfers for USB audio (though I already have a WIP of this, it’s stalled because @Barrett never fixed the media_server crashes related to using a second audio device.)

3 Likes

because no one fixed the crashes. It’s not just one single dev fault.

6 Likes

I still get a kernel panic whenever an application tries to use my USB gamepad (Logitech F310).

The fixes are only in master, not in the beta branch. But if you are on the hrev mentioned in the blog post (or higher) and still get kernel panics, please open a new ticket.

Uh? Is this person serious?

He’s a seriously hard working developer and member of the community. I don’t know if that excuses the above comment though. Perhaps he was just having a bad day. I don’t see that as his normal tone and demeanor.

Please stop insulting other developers. You have already been warned about this.

…but you could fix the media_server crashes?
…if you don’t like to work on it… some other dev is in need!

It would be a great step forward to support him to get those isochronous transfers for USB audio to work!

I am actually the person insulted.

2 Likes

Yes, it wasn’t nice of waddlesplash to put the blame on you alone.

Teamwork makes the dream work.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I think these changes broke my USB3 Ethernet adapter. I need to gather the information for a bug report.

Now that would be strange, especially seeing as how multiple users reported to me that their USB ethernet adapters were fixed by this. Please make sure the problem isn’t in the network stack level (i.e. delete interfaces file, etc.)

I’ll try deleting interfaces file, if I can find it. I have no idea where it may be right now.

It used to work if I plugged it into a USB2 port. It would appear as a device if plugged into the USB3 port, but not work.

Now, if I try and boot with it in the USB3 or USB2 port, it goes to KDL. If I plug it in to USB3 after booting, it doesn’t do anything (syslog doesn’t even change). If I plug it into a USB2 port after booting, syslog shows something happening and then it goes to KDL.

But I’ll give it a whack this evening when I get home.

Yes, please do. File tickets for any distinct KDLs you manage to reproduce, and a syslog+listusb from when it was working, if possible.

I was able to format a USB3 Flash drive from a nightly with Etcher, and boot from the USB3 port on a Lenovo Thinkpad. The system booted without issue. However I was not able to connect to my wifi, Mandel crashed with an error, and Teapot only displayed a black screen.

We can’t fix bugs if you don’t report them with the applicable information.

the teapot black screen is likely broken vsync support where the intel driver waits forever on the vsync. But without device IDs it’s hard to check anything.