Mini desktop machine for Haiku?

I’m not really sure. I don’t remember if I first booted with my Haiku install on a portable USB drive or a few days old nightly. But it booted up and saw the Ethernet card and said it was active and connected, but wouldn’t get an IP address. Assigning a static IP didn’t work either.

Then I made a FreeBSD live USB key and it didn’t work there either. Then, or completeness sake, I made a new nightly bootable and tried that and it got an IP address and was working.

I have no idea there, either. The Screen preferences only shows 3840xx2160 as an option. The boot loader, though, shows a lot of different options but 1080 x 1920 isn’t one of them. I even tried using the fail safe video driver, but it still sticks at 3840 x 2160. I cranked the fonts up pretty big, though, and that makes things easier.

Well in practice if you have multiple ethernet/wifi devices which I asume the A300W does have wifi… sometimes one or the other won’t come up correctly I think there are still bugs in trac about this perhaps that is it?

I guess some work needs to be done to get more of the supported resolutions from UEFI… or prehaps it only passes along what resolution it boots at, in which case the driver probably doesn’t know how to query the hardware properly for anything else since not much work had been done on radeon_hd since polaris support was added.

It comes with a Wi-Fi M.2 card, but it wasn’t installed the first time I around. I only put it in because I wanted to see if it would show up if Ethernet wasn’t working.

The Wi-Fi doesn’t show up as an option at all, which is fine for me. The antennae leads are sub-atomic and there’s no way I’m going to connect them.

The Wi-Fi module, for the curious, is:
device Network controller [2|80|0]
vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
device 24fb: Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak]

I have the same one.
The iwm drivers will be updated from the latest freebsd release before beta 2.
(The driver for that card missed the freebsd 11.2 release window, which is what the current iwm drivers are from)

You can also check the syslog for refrences to wifi, you should see that the driver could not be found. (Just for future refrence)

The “real” drivers all know how to switch resolutions. This limitation is in the framebuffer driver for UEFI. The reason is, we shut down UEFI services during boot, and as a result it is not possible to call into the UEFI firmware to ask for a resolution change while the display is running. For VESA, we managed to get around this by emulating a virtual CPU and running the VESA BIOS in there, proxying access to the hardware from the emulator to the actual video card. But for UEFI it’s more complicated to set something like that up.

As a result, you can only change the resolution by editing a configuration file and rebooting. And you are probably limited to resolutions your UEFI firmware can handle.

My “desktop” computer is in fact a well-specc’d Thinkpad W530 laptop, with a 1920x1080 screen and an attached 24" monitor, running Win10. At some point I hope to replace Windows with Haiku, but can’t do so until dual screen operation is supported.

Meanwhile I have Haiku on a couple of Thinkpad T61 laptops, on which it runs extremely well.

How far up or down the to-do list is getting dual screen to work? There are obviously more important things to fix first, but it would be nice to have an idea.

Keep up the good work!

Dual screen works if you have a Radeon 7000 or Matrox G400 video card from the early 2000s. But none of the newer drivers has support for it.

There are also some changes to make to the API and app_server, mainly in BScreen and window positionning code (so that CenterOnScreen() centers on a single display, and not in the middle of the two displays, for example). And there is a restriction that both screens must use the same color depth, but that’s fine, everyone is using 32bit colors anyway these days.

The Screen preferences is ready to handle this. The interface between the drivers and app_server is a bit quirky (as it had to be compatible with BeOS, so some changes we wanted to make were not possible), but it works and allows to get things started on the drivers side.

3 Likes

So this is a case of radeon_hd not being active and just defaulting to the UEFI framebuffer…

UEFI doesn’t provide modesetting capabilities at OS runtime (there are no appropriate Runtime Services for that). The GOP is available only at boot time and is shutdown with ExitBootServices() call. Only at boot time can an OS loader query supported modes and ask to set one that it likes for the OS. After Boot Services exit, both the OS loader and OS can only use the mode set during boot time in their direct framebuffer access. In the absence of the native OS driver, of course.

a kiedy dyski ssd będą działać?

when ssd disk working are

They are working already, i run Haiku from SSD since years (3+ or so). Even nvme should work already. Trim support is however still disabled.

Google translate:

Działają już, używam Haiku od SSD od lat (od 3 lat). Nawet nvme powinno już działać. Obsługa przycinania (trim) jest jednak nadal wyłączona.

Mam dwie maszyny z SSD na żadnym nie udało mi sie uruchomić Haiku. Intel i7 i Amd ryzen. Dyski zwykłe , niewielkie adata i SanDisk.

I have two machines with SSDs, none of which I managed to run Haiku. Intel i7 and Amd ryzen. Normal, small adata and SanDisk disks.

Did you made a ticket for this issue already? It could be a good idea to create one. Do not forget to provide the following informations:

• motherboard/laptop model
  • ssd model/connector type
  • haiku version/architecture (beta or nightly, 32 or 64 bit)
  • syslog with ssd attached
1 Like

Hiya, I have been using Haiku on my self built PC but had to finally ditch it because there is no way to get sound via HDMI: I have researched it but not even freeBSD is able to play sounds via HDMI.
Then I tried Haiku on my ASUS H102T 2-in-1 PC: no touch screen, no sound and no rotation of screen. A real pity but Haiku has to go!
My DIY PC is a Asus H110T MoBo and an i5 Kaby Lake.
The ASUS 2-in-1 is a Atom CPU.
I also tried it on a XPC NUC with Celeron: no sound either.
So, there it goes: HAIKU is not very easy to use or install for newbie on a modern PC and it needs a lot of tweaking to get it to boot with UEFI. There is good documentation but info is scattered about the website between the handbook and FAQ. I love HAIKU UI but if it has no solutions to basic issues like sound and screen rotation, never mind touch screen.
My conclusion is to wait until the developers have solved all the issues that are obvious for a new user. The more obscure ones (which I have not been able to discover because I uninstalled it) can be left for stage two in the development.
What I expected to find with Haiku was a Distro that had all the basic features on a standard hardware (Intel CPU and chipset) and then report issues that are more obscure in a testing stage later. What I found is that HAIKU does not have the basics to test it on hardware which is not specially complex (e.g. with graphics or sound cards). Thank you for developing this OS, it is really nice to use it and I hope developers will continue to create better and more complete versions of HAIKU!:slightly_smiling_face::wink:

Passively waiting will not help. At least open bugreports at dev.haiku-os.org or vote for existing ones.

2 Likes

I have done all that but no progress made. I am not a developer, I only test things on my hardware. So, no need to make that kind of comments. I have reported all my issues on this forum and on bugzilla.

Which ticket(s) have you filed under Haiku’s bug tracker? (Please link to them) If you haven’t done this, then obviously waiting for devs to fix a non-existent issue doesn’t help here.

The core Haiku developers are doing this in their spare time and they equally have other important problems to fix in the OS. We don’t have the luxury of hundreds of paid full time OS developers/contributors in other open-source projects to make progress faster. We’re even very lucky to have a usable OS with actual users in the first place.

As you are able to test on your hardware and you found issues in Haiku, the least that can be done is to file a bug report about the issue. We can’t solve issues that are not reported.

1 Like

Especially for hardware problems, sometimes it’s difficult to debug the issue without access to the hardware.

1 Like

I have Haiku running on a ASUS Chromebox which has been flashed with a “real” bios, an NVMe added, and memory added. The Celeron ones are as cheap as $21 USD on ebay.

what do you mean “real” bios … sorry i’m not understand