McPixel 3 for Haiku

I just noticed that McPixel 3 by the great Devolver Digital is available for Haiku x86_64. A great purchase for $9.99. Support it and give them some positive feedback on releasing it for Haiku. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This would be a good reason to look into having HaikuDepot accept money. I have no idea what kind of nightmare that would be, though.

Sounds like the developer could use some help making it so that it doesn’t require being launched from Terminal.

Hm. I just tried it on r1beta3 and it crashed. Going to try it on an r1beta4 test candidate.

Did you start it from the Terminal? And do you have the SDL2 stuff installed?

Yeah, I just have a feeling r1/beta3 is too old. Seeing a crash around strlen called by SDL2

On the bright side, I quickly looked into packaging it into an hpkg and realized we don’t have any “Generic Commercial” licenses in our repository.

I raised https://review.haiku-os.org/c/haiku/+/5831. A “brief generic” commercial license like that will work well for closed source paid games and other software.

2 Likes

Hm. it doesn’t run on r1beta4 either. Looks like some bug in our SDL2 port :sob:

2 Likes

How about a repo included with Haiku specifically for commercial software that is disabled by default? This would make it clearer for users that software in this repo cannot be redistributed without permission. If possible, even have a special dialog notifying a user of this when they try to enable it.

The full software is distributed once purchased. There’s no license keys or anything… so that wouldn’t really work.

I don’t know how chatty the developer is, but it might be an idea to find out what version it was written on.

Hmm, is it by any chance exhibiting similarly to this issue for VVVVVV?