MAME on Haiku

I love my 3mx - I take it with me pretty much everywhere. It’s a great journalling/writing tool.

Also, some people don’t realise that EPOC32 (the OS that ran on the Series 5) eventually became Symbian.

Nice collection!

It looks like a great answer to the demand for “distraction free” writing devices. How’s the keyboard feel on it?

1 Like

The Series 3 range are pretty good for thumb-typing. (I’ve only ever used one terrible one, which was squishy and over-sensitive, but that was a one-off.) I’ve Frankensteined parts for my 3mx from a few machines, so I’ve picked a very good one to go in mine. I’ve written a good few hundreds of thousands of words on various 3a, 3c and 3mx machines.

The built-in word processor is pretty good, too. It has basic formatting and (on the 1MB/2MB 3a, 3c and 3mx) a spellchecker and thesaurus. It largely gets out of your way and lets you get on and type. It’s missing some nice-to-haves, but I’m planning on working on that in the future.

A lot of people prefer the Series 5 or 5mx. It’s got a “proper” keyboard rather than the chiclet one on the Series 3 machines, bigger screen, newer CPU (32 bit ARM instead of the 8086-based NEC V30), and a more advanced word processor. Personally I prefer the simplicity of the older 16 bit devices.

Either way, you can get about a month from two AA batteries from regular use of Series 3 or Series 5 machines.

The best keyboard experience, though, is the MC range of laptops (at the top of the picture). Proper Cherry keys from the late 80s! They’re fantastic to type on, but they’re not exactly pocket-sized. It needs 8 AA batteries, the screen is alright but not amazing, and the trackpad is absolutely terrible!

1 Like

Is there a way to edit the title of a thread? I just wanted to change it to “MAME on Haiku” or something.

Anyway, 0.260 should be available now.

I’d really like to hear if anyone else is using it! :blush:

Done.

Apparently, you gain such powers when you become a “Regular” member of the forum.

BTW, this is the frst time I use my super-powers, muahahaha!

3 Likes

I really like some of the UI of the psion, I’ve only used rhe series 3 but for example the two pane adress book with left the labeös and right what you wanted to write was absolutely amazing, it’s not 20 boxes you need to leave empty but you can decide yourself what information is relevant to you :3

1 Like

For the record, latest MAME is only available on 64bit, on 32bit both builds ended up in “memory exhausted”.

The POWER! :joy:

Ah, that’s annoying. I really need a 32 bit box to test these builds on. Would cross-compiling on x64 be enough?

Hi! Not sure if you are using Haiku on VM or real hardware, but to be able to install Haiku 32 bit, you can do it even on a 64 bit machine. No need to be 32 bit hardware only.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant a Haiku 32 installation on 64 bit hardware. Although I do have a 486 somewhere… :joy:

I was using VirtualBox on Linux, but the speed was awful, especially block device writes. I do want to do some tests on various hypervisors to do some benchmarking (Proxmox/KVM, ESXi).

In the end I dug out an old Lenovo M93p and installed Haiku 64. I could theoretically dual-boot that (32/64). However, if I can build 32 bit packages on Haiku 64, then that would be handy.

The compilation on 32 bit OS will nevertheless exhaust the memory and the build will fail.

I dont think it is (easily) possible. We could however research if we can disable some emulation targets, the current recipe attempts a full build, which is not a common practice AFAIK. Maybe limiting the targets to the most common platforms can help with the build.

Specifying targets is certainly possible.

I’ve found in the past it’s usually just one task that grabs huge amounts of RAM. When I was trying to compile with a 4GB VM, sometimes just cancelling the build and starting it again would get it past the blockage; it would use the already-built objects and shift around the order of tasks that are compiling at the same time.

How about reducing the number of threads? Or increasing virtual memory?

Having a good indication on what targets would be required for most users, @PulkoMandy mentioned wanting to test it too so maybe he can also add what should be needed or not?

Number of threads can be controled, RAM wise I don’t think you can influence the buildmasters.

This is tricky to do using HaikuPorter.

Back then as i worked on the port i have tried it, but it didnt help.