Mac install works on USB, not on HD

I’m trying to install Haiku on my early 2009 MacBook. The system boots fine from a USB stick, but hangs when booting from hard disk.

I’ve installed Bootcamp, installed Haiku and chosen the Haiku partition (marked as ‘Windows’). It gets as far as showing the icons but then hangs without any icons lighting up. On USB, it seems to pick up the video card ok and displays in nice high-resolution. On HD, the boot-icons display in low-resolution so it obviously isn’t recognising all the hardware.

I’ve tried running the installer again and manually copying the Haiku files across after booting into the Haiku USB.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Failing this, is it possible to resize the Haiku BeFS partition on the USB stick?

At least then I can install software to play around with.

Have you tried install rEFInd?
I think you need to do something like described in this thread:

Here is another thread:

Thanks for the information!

I’ve tried rEFIt, but that didn’t get as far as the splash screen. I hadn’t heard of rEFInd before but I’ll give that a go.

I’m also poring through the second thread you linked now. (Sorry everyone if I’m duplicating the same questions from there…) Will let you know how I get on.

Initial result with rEFInd was the same as before, but I played with safe-mode options and got it booting. I narrowed it down to needing to disable ‘local APIC’. Can I make this setting stick?

Hardware support is patchy - wifi and sound don’t work currently (will check the other thread for any tips) but ethernet does. The Mac trackpad is awkward to use, although playing with speed & acceleration might help, and at least it’s old enough to have a separate button…

But overall Haiku runs like a dream. My old 2009 MacBook with old school hard-disk has gone from being unusable to feeling as responsive as my 2021 M1 MacBook Air. And it looks beautiful too. Amazing stuff.

1 Like

Another quick update: In fact I can just disable SMP and it boots. Weird.

The laptop has Nvidia MCP79 HDA audio. I tried blacklisting the HDA driver and installing OSS but that doesn’t seem to have worked.

The wifi is Broadcom BCM4322 which I’ve read isn’t supported so looks like I’m out of luck with that.