Lunduke's Haiku week

There are also other community activities besides the Haiku Forum. For example, since this year we have a well-maintained hardware database (supported and unsupported hardware).

New users are always invited to take a look at our knowledge base

3 Likes

Did you start the Haiku Week already?
Since Haiku Beta 4 is not ready yet!

Might in a few days or a week or a month!

I like to have a stable Haiku Beta 4 release, not made in a rush just for a Broadcast!

4 Likes

Ahoy @lelldorin,

Is that possible to put gathered data for example
in case Complete Systems
really into a database
instead of a static table as it is now ?

Just as in case we can
→ filter lines we are interested in

→ and / or change the ordering of other or more columns then
so those can be done., this way help visibility and check well our interests

in hardware list.

I understand this requires more invention and maintenance then rendering a static table based on newly gathered data.

I just ask - of course. :-))

Our hardware database is a database. What´is missing to select? What hardware components are missed?

@lorglas is the developer of the website and have more expierience here.

I think it’s possible. Only time is my problem.

Regrads lorglas

1 Like

Ahoy @lorglas,

Thanks - it was just proposal - not forcing … that’s why I wrote

Dear @lelldorin,

You are right. A database is database.

However a good database is interactive - as its value is in output of queries on it.
If you read the whole database table it might be long time to find you want to find – so which you are looking for.
As it is static table actually … it lasts longer as you have to roll it to find the interesting record - aka line- that contains what you are searching for.

At this time you may have a few records in it - at least what I checked : Complete systems.
Luckily we have the browser search {CTRL+F or STRG+F on German keyboard} to find a specifig string like Dell Precision to have some matching records.
However someone might interests in such a complete system which has a specific CPU or GPU they want to use with Haiku. In that case that would be useful to filter out other systems and show only interesting records.
To be able to do that instead of static table, the table should be rendered by keywords - so called ‘indexes’ of the actual columns, which are fields of the records (the lines in your table).

I just asked for
convenience and simplicity in search
and appropriate, elegant views of your database records.

I can use it as it is - I just proposed to grow its usability, simplicity and precision for what others may turn to use it with more joyfulness.

Kind regards,

I added some filters on complete System view. Not completed today. I think it makes it a little bit easier.

regards lorglas

Thanks, it is better now.

It would be useful if it would be highlighted somehow. I mean if the search line would reveal the input fields with a different background colour around them, for example, and a text somewhere that
filtering option is available in the header area.
I visited the page usually in Seamonkey browser - I don’t know it makes difference or not however - and there is everything is white in the cells: also the input fields and drilll down option of vendors as well, meanwhile they are in white cells. Only the thin lines of fields shows there is something different there.
I could recognize them what they could be as I exactly searched now how you did/resolved the filtering option.
I hope I was clear how I mean this possible visibility issue for me and maybe for other ones.
Otherwise it is useful :smiley:

I had this online database “instance” URL link from one of the above post of Haiku forum from lelldorin.

I saved a link of the database page, as I could not find first it from the page of the SAT tool on Besly page. The Index link collection at the bottom of first page contains one that titled “The Database” , but it turns out this is a description about program option “Database”. I assume the same database via SAT tool.

Later I saw “HARDWARE” on the sidepanel of the man page, drilled down , and I found that where is the place where the database online version can be found…

{OFF topic}
I searched the database for AMD/ATI chipset I have in my old laptop to compare : is that its actual support (or missing support) in Haiku may cause similar problem for other users as well ?
I have no completely USB devices known by Haiku on it and have constant USB EHCI error messages in syslog.
So I did search to be able to add this to my ticket #18076, if any other system works fine, as until now only one other user had such similar problem but there is almost the same laptop harware. So might be too few users affected to hope in faster resolution :wink:
{ END OFF topic}