Love the new forums!

A bit of an improvement then, despite the crashing :smile:

If you were so inclined, you could probably get a core dump and back trace to see if the crash is in Qt, webkit or elsewhere.

Chris

I opened the debugger on it, but it didn’t tell me much. I suspect I have more useful things to spend my time on, anyway… (:-)) The crashing is a bit excessive, though. Keeps losing my password.

One thing I miss in the new forum (or maybe I’m just missing how to do it?) is being able to quote sections of what one is replying to in the reply.

Arrkk – I just see it! Exploring the blank buttons at the top of the reply panel, it’s the leftmost one. (The buttons are just little blank rectangles in both W+ and QupZilla.)

They use “web fonts”, which Web+ does not support yet because our BFont class and app_server structure does not allow loading a font that is not installed.

Maybe it would be possible to change the theme to use plain text on these buttons instead?

Meanwhile, here is a workaround:
Discourse uses the “font awesome” font. You can download it from here: http://fontawesome.io/
Install the ttf file in system/non-packaged/fonts (or system/fonts for pre-PM Haiku). Restart app_server (you probably need to reboot). WebPositive will pick it up and use it, so you get all the icons working!

2 Likes

It might be nice to have an .hpkg file for this font.

Plusses -
– Much easier on the eyes.
– Modern looking.
– Automatically shows related
– Some of the navigation is easier

Minuses -
– Trust system makes everyone a moderator?
LOL, when folks find out about that, all we’ll
be seeing are blank pages.

– Needs javascript. With the old forum, I could
use it (even post) without javascript. Since I
like to use Netsurf, that’s an issue.

– Some of the navigation is harder.

But - hey it’s just been deployed. I’m sure there are a few wrinkles to iron.

Awesome to have avatars. Nice to see what some of my fellow haikuites look like!

1 Like

Done with hrev50490. Should be in HaikuDepot now.
Thanks for the tip, @PulkoMandy!

Regards,
Humdinger

4 Likes

Yes! Thank you! You answered my suggestion before I was even able to make it… (:-)) I now see all the icons. (What’s all the rest of that stuff in the download? A lot of unfamiliar suffixes, and an SVG file that seems to send Wonderbrush into fits!)

This is a strike against Qupzilla, though. It doesn’t seem to pick up the font.

OK… It does now. Not sure what was wromg before.

If you just want the font download this: https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/blob/master/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf

Installed Font Awesome from HaikuDepot. Didn’t even need to reboot Haiku or restart App Server, just the browser. Works great in WebPositive and QupZilla.

Thank you very much!

yeah… must agree… this definately looks a lot more like what i was thinking about when i was talking about a redesign.

Good work guys.

Hey, welcome back!

The more I use the new forums, the more I get the hang of it … and finding myself to like it very much.

One thing I have not yet figure out how to do, if possible. A discussion is presented in a linear time fashion. I presume this is the default. Can one have it presented in its hierarchy of replies (and sub-replies)?

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance, but how do we quote people in this forum? I’m not seeing a “Reply with quotation” button to click.

You can select the words that you want to quote and a “quote reply” label will appear next to the text, just click it.

you can click the menu button at the top left of the reply box to quote the entirety of the post you’re responding to, also.

Thanks, guys.

On android tablet new forum do not zoom.
That not good.