Live USB and creating another from within that

Hi gang,

I’ve tried several times, the live USB flashdrive (mostly Haiku nightly’s).

The lastest, hrev54963, still gives a problem when booting while the flashdrive is plugged into a USB3 port. I will hang anywhere from the time during seeing the little bootup icons to just the mouse pointer in the middle of the blue screen.

Once I reboot again, it usually will not hang and goes to the desktop just fine.

Other than that, I’ve not really had a chance to ‘use’ this nightly, because what I’d like to do is be able to create a flashdrive from within the booted Haiku, so that I can utilize the whole 64GB flashdrive and not just the 600+MB that installs when creating it in my Linux with dd.

I can find the new, plugged in flashdrive just fine with ‘drivecreate’ (I think it’s called), and even format it to the be fs. I can also mount the Linux sdd that the hrev54963 anyboot iso is on and see it when I ‘open’ that sdd.

The problem is, when it comes to creating the actual flashdrive, I can’t get the app to let me show it where that iso is to use so that Haiku will be able to utilize the whole flashdrive. I can’t download the iso because the live flashdrive I’m using only has room for the 600+/- MB’s already on it.

Can anyone tell me how to get past this ‘problem’ (I hope I explained myself well enough), or let me know that it can’t be done when booting off of a live flashdrive or whatever? I even tried this in a virtual machine on my linux and it is basically the same problem.

I’ve gone by the create and install guide on the Haiku site, step-by-step, but either I’m completely missing something, not comprehending it correctly, or missing something altogether in it. Anyone have any ideas?

Use the installer and target the second drive. Why do you want to download an iso?

I don’t know if it is still the case, but at one time USB3 didn’t work. Use USB2, if you have it.

The Installer can install a copy of your running system onto a new (larger) disk. There is no need to install from a separate ISO image.

1 Like

As already said: Use DriveSetup to format the second flashdrive and install Haiku to it.

Aha! This seems like what will work, as I remember seeing ‘Installer’ bringing this up as the ‘source’, except I wasn’t sure it would work for creating a ‘whole drive’ image.

I’ll go back in and give this a try. Thank you for the assistance! Wish me luck!

That did work, so thank you for that.

Unfortunately, it showed me that USB3 is still a big problem for Haiku. I booted the flashdrive on one of the USB3 ports on my system (a desktop, full tower, ATX MOBO) and got lucky this time that it booted without hanging.

When I plugged in the blank, new flashdrive into another USB3 port to format it and install Haiku on the full drive, Haiku couldn’t even see it was being plugged in.

When I plugged the drive into a USB2 port, it showed up almost instantly, so it seems Haiku still has a problem with things USB3, unfortunately.

Once I did have that flashdrive formatted and Haiku installed on it with the Haiku apps, I rebooted with that flashdrive and again got lucky that it got all the way through to the desktop.

Starting some apps though was ‘choppy’, meaning it often took 5-10 seconds for the app to start, and then even longer to close.

Right-clicking on the feather thing in the upper right corner of the screen, the little window showing memory usage and such, would instantly open menus, but they wouold take upwards of 30 seconds to close.

Then, just to test it, I opened the ‘update apps’ app (sorry, I didn’t write any of the app names down), it informed me there were 73 things that needed to be updated, so I clicked on the ‘okay’ and it got it all except one thing, automake, if I remember correct.

When I tried to close that window/app though, it wouldn’t close I even tried opening other apps, clicking on the desktop background, etc, etc, and it just hung to the point I had to do a hard reboot.

I’m willing to bet that the whole problem(s) were because it was started in a USB3 port. I think if it had been on a USB2 port everything would have been fine. I’m going to do that as a matter of fact and let it be known what happens.

Some computers, from the early days of USB3, don’t perform as well as they should. I have a Thinkpad W530, and two T430s, and these were the first generation of Thinkpads to have USB3. None of them seem to be able to maintain high transfer speeds with USB3, and many users have reported problems with these models.
So I wonder if it might be a computer problem.

I also observe sluggish system performance when booted off USB3 port with occasional lock ups. At the same time if i boot linux mint from the same usb drive I don’t have this problem and everything is super fast. So there is definitely some problem with xhci driver. I will open a ticket with my syslog as soon as I get my hands on the laptop with this problem.

1 Like