Lean periods on Haiku

One or the other updates will be there on an almost daily basis
Some times, there will be no updates in an entire week…
Are we nearing R1 release?
Just curious…

There are different factors and it is not because there are no commits that no work is done.
Some changes are simply needing more work than others.
Imagine that you report a bug. Sometimes, devs will have an hunch about the cause and will issue a fix in two days but other times it will take months to find a clue. Even if reporter is of good will, some bugs don’t give a little thing to track.
Aside of bugs, there are things being developed. Some will have more impact than others and you will have to review all changes before starting to push them.
At the time, devs are mentors for GSOC students. Some projects will need more involvement than others. The time taken can’t be used to develop or review other changes.
Obviously, devs have a real life where anything can happen, from being busy with their paid jobs to health issues etc.

This said I guess that after summer of code, if there are not too much ironing left, we could see a beta 5, not before, and not R1.

2 Likes

Hello, at the moment I am busy with my paid job (as a developer and software architect, but also doing job interviews to hire more people, and a few other things), with preparing end of year concerts for the choir I’m singing in (designing and printing posters, etc), and also working on some not-directly-haiku projects (mainly a C compiler for some obscure CPU target). As a result I have not a lot of time for Haiku.

So, less activity from me at the moment. Some of these things are somewhat temporary (will last a few months or weeks), others are more permanent.

I don’t know exactly the schedule of other Haiku developers but I suspect it is somewhat busy as well.

We are trying to get beta 5 out in the next few months but there are still a few issues to work on. There will then be a beta 6, and probably more betas after that.

2 Likes

I guess the best answer is the one Slackware devs use for decades now - and I quote:
If you want to know when the next version will be released - it will be ready… when it’s ready!
The idea is not to rush and not promising the moon. I bet this is one of the reasons this specific GNU/Linux distribution is the oldest one still alive. Even if you had an army of well-paid determined developers, you still shouldn’t predict a release date. Any non trivial project (let alone an operating system) can and will have bugs that may be discovered the night before you scheduled a release.

I’m not going to pretend that I wouldn’t like to see beta5 being released tomorrow. But I can wait. In the meantime, it’s not like I have to use beta4, anyway. That’s what nightlys are for. :grinning:

2 Likes