Lack of rc

I ran a full jam on a clean tree (just downloaded a CVS tarball as I don’t have internet in BeOS) and I got a lot of errors similar to this:
…skipped <src!prefs!media>media.rsrc for lack of rc…

Now I run make in /src/tools/rc so lexer.cpp is defined and copied the rc and librdef to their apprioate locations. I tried a manual compile of the ShowImage resource file (lo and behold a .rsrc file was created) and ran Jam again on the target, but still got the same error…

I assume something goes wrong in the Jamrules file, but can anybody help me out here?

Rogier

are you using the latest version of jam and rc and ld ?

Jam can be built in the source or alternatively can be downloaded from our site (check the Developer Resources). Same with those other files.

Also check what GCC you’re using …

GCC Version: 2.9-beos-000224
JAM Version: 2.5rc3

If you drop to a shell and do “commandlineapp -v” you should get the version.

I downloaded the Jam version of the site, which actually is 2.4 and not 2.5RC3. The ld link doesn’t work, so can’t update that (I don’t have internet in BeOS so this written from “another” OS).

rc/librdef is freshly compiled from CVS…

I use the standard DevTools gcc compiler, so IIRC that is 2.9…

I was going to say … don’t do anything yet as I tried to update the jam version on our web site, but I don’t have write access to it.

Update 5/7 4:05pm GMT +10

I uploaded jam to another directory and linked it:-

http://haiku-os.org/downloads.php?mode=view_dl&id=10

It seems it was the Jam version, everything now compiles fine…

Thanks!

I had been getting some strange problems trying to compile the source tree as well. I have the updated ld, jam and rc, but still problems. It even took me in KDL. I cont’d and it compiled some more, then totally froze on me. This happened several times, and even when I did a clean update of the current dir. Is the geekgadgets compiler now required to build? I have been using the stock R5 gcc.

Stock R5 gcc is fine. I have never seen the problems you are having so, I don’t know what is causing it.

We’re actually using gcc 2.95.3 on the build box.

You can get that from Bebits here

Sikosis wrote:
We're actually using gcc 2.95.3 on the build box.

You can get that from Bebits here

95% certain your not :slight_smile:

Because you cannot build the tree with that compiler, it just collapses.

ftp://ftp.geekgadgets.org/pub/geekgadgets/be/i586/snapshots/20000902/bin/

has a gnupro TGZ that has by far the best gcc for BeOS - the 000204 build. Which is probably what you’re using. Its also 2.95.3 I think, but it is NOT the BeBits build.

doh … I actually loaded on that file this morning to the build box, because I thought that’s the one that’s needed …

Now I’ll have to change it back :wink:

Done.

Here’s a link to the one hosted by Geek Gadgets (Intel) or if you’re a PPC user you can find it from their main page here.

You will need to extract the files into a folder called:-

/boot/develop/tools/gnupro

Then when you open a Terminal and type gcc -v you should get the following:-

Reading specs from /boot/develop/tools/gnupro/bin/…/lib/gcc-lib/i586-beos/2.9-beos-000224/specs
gcc version 2.9-beos-000224

Sikosis wrote:
Here's a link to the one hosted by Geek Gadgets (Intel) or if you're a PPC user you can find it from their main page here.

PPC users need to keep using the supplied Metrowerks C Compiler, as GCC does not make suitable binaries

Anonymous wrote:
I had been getting some strange problems trying to compile the source tree as well. I have the updated ld, jam and rc, but still problems. It even took me in KDL. I cont'd and it compiled some more, then totally froze on me. This happened several times, and even when I did a clean update of the current dir. Is the geekgadgets compiler now required to build? I have been using the stock R5 gcc.

Turned out to be a bad memory stick :-/
Compiles fine now…

BTW- for anyone interested www.memtest86.com has a cool bootable iso for testing memory. Works good.