Just discovered Haiku

Hello,
I have just discovered Haiku and am very excited about using and programming with it.
Microsoft Windows Vista is currently my main OS but I have used Linux and Minix for many years and have written a few more small utilities for those OSes.

Haiku R1 Alpha1 is running perfectly on a Compaq D510SFF. All hardware appears to be supported on that machine which is of course good news. This machine is not in the most accessible location here so I have installed VNC server on it and can now operate it remotely to good effect.
I’ve downloaded the SVN Repo (trunk) for Haiku and have built the OS on the D510SFF machine and it works just fine.
I’ve been periodically updating the repo and rebuilding to stay current.

I use a pen-drive to transfer the ISO image from the D510SFF machine to Sun Virtual Box running on my Vista machine but there must be a better way ?
Could I for example add a second hard drive to the D510SFF and dual boot it with R1 Alpha or “Current” ?

I’d love to help out the Haiku project in some way so I have been looking at the list of “Simple Tasks” but first I need to familiarize myself with the source tree before going any further.

The ideal situation for me would be to have Haiku running on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10V Netbook computer but the Wireless Networking won’t be supported just yet so its probably a no go at the moment. The machine has a “Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card” installed currently but this can be swapped out for something a bit more standard if only I knew what to go for.
Also the sound “Realtek ALC272-GR Audio A04” probably won’t work in Haiku ?

Thus far I have found the IRC to be very friendly so thanks for your patience with this Haiku newbie :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Lynton

England UK

Could I for example add a second hard drive to the D510SFF and dual boot it with R1 Alpha or “Current” ?

Yes, you could use a 2nd hard drive. You’ll require a boot manager. Haiku comes with bootman but only works off the primary master drive. If you also install Linux then you can use Grub in MBR to boot Haiku. You can also create multiple partitions on 1 drive and use bootman to select which to boot. ( type bootman from terminal to start/install Haiku boot manager )

For WiFi,
Atheros based ones are best. Read here for more information:
http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/haiku-wifi/news

Intel WiFi Link 1000/5000/6000 should work too with later Haiku (not Alpha1)
http://www.haikuware.com/directory/view-details/drivers/network/wifi-driver-for-intel-wifi-link-1000/5000/6000-series

WiFi support was added right into Haiku around 2 months after Alpha1 release. Not encrypted.

These are the WiFi drivers in Haiku source. You should check Haiku binary to see if they are built or not ( no guarantee that they’ll all work though ). Stick with Atheros to be very safe.
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/network/wlan

Also the sound “Realtek ALC272-GR Audio A04” probably won’t work in Haiku ?
Searched & found nothing for ALC272. Don’t believe it will work with Haiku’s audio drivers. There is OSS port which may support it but don’t get your hopes up.

Hi,
Many thanks for the reply with the useful info.
In particular its useful to know that I need to use an alternative bootloader to allow me to boot Haiku from a second disk.
I’ll be keeping a watchful eye on the status of Wi-Fi in Haiku and may even look at swapping out the “Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card” in the Inspiron 10v for an “Intel 5300” which is apparently easily done because that’d give it a better chance of working it would seem.
With regard to the Sound on the Inspiron I’ve just checked the Linux install I have on it currently and it appears its usng OSS for the sound so the Haiku port may do the trick.

Thanks once again for the info.

Thoroughly enjoying the Haiku experience :slight_smile:

Lynton

England UK

bootman might boot Haiku off 2nd disk but installs to disk on primary channel. Good to try bootman first & see if that works out because very simple to work with.

You could ask Colin to add Dell WiFi driver. Later on I’m sure he will add it - maybe in next 12 months. Most important info is from listdev in Haiku. This will say what hardware you use, for instance will give chipset information for devices like WiFi card. Then can know for sure which driver to use for your hardware. The Dell card will use some other chip, maybe from Intel or Atheros or Realtek, etc.

Good to hear OSS works for your sound card in Linux. May work in Haiku too then.

Well I’ve just built Haiku R34776 on the Compaq D510SFF and put it on a USB stick.
Its nice to see the Dell boot Haiku from the USB stick correctly but there are of course a number of issues as I/we suspected.

After a quick play these are the things I noticed, both good and bad!

1. Hard disk can be seen in “DriveSetup” but didn’t try to install Haiku on it
  2. Video seems to be OK
  3. Need to check out the sound but its listed (along with the webcam) in Prefs->Media
  4. No wired or wireless LAN adapters can be seen in Prefs->Network
  5. Left & Right click buttons on mouse touchpad don’t work although tapping on the touchpad area gets you a left click.

Interesting to see the output of listdev on this machine, it thinks the network adapters are as follows:-

1. Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
  2. Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (So its probably not a Dell)

It might be worth submitting a bug report for the mouse touchpad because that should be a fairly standard device I would have thought?

Lynton

yes, create tickets for mouse touch pad and for wired ethernet card.

The card may say Dell on the outside but the chipset would be Broadcom. Just like how you buy motherboards that use Intel, VIA, etc. chipsets from Asus, Soyo, Abit, MSI, etc. Same happens with network cards, they use a certain chipset (ie: Atheros, Realtek, Intel, ). You have to watch for wifi BCM4312 driver to see when it gets added to Haiku.

You should file a ticket for RTL8101E. FreeBSD site says:
The re(4) driver supports RealTek RTL8139C+, RTL8169, RTL816xS, RTL811xS, and RTL8101E based Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet adapters

RTL8101E is supported by “re” driver. Haiku has re driver already but the version is from Oct 2008 and I don’t believe has support for RTL8101. Newer version would likely add support for your network card. File a ticket and ask to have this driver updated.

WiFi still work in progress.

Tickets have been created for both touchpad and wired ethernet adapter so fingers crossed.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards

Lynton