Is BFS support with dd command?

I try to use linux live usb driver.
and it is failed again.
i pulled the usb-driver out.

maybe something is wrong but i don’t know what it is.

i tell them to use the application “installer” for their DIY things.

sorry about my litter power.
only waiting.
because i am also in the second part.

Linux 系统下如果你的命令参数无误(即去掉count ),照按道理不应该失败。

结合你最开始的描述中输出结果,公平地说一句,不排除 Haiku 自身磁盘驱动存在问题的可能性。当然,有时候需要更多实实在在的证据才能让自信心爆棚的开发者面对问题,不是吗? :wink:

A problem with “Haiku´s own disk driver”, as in your words, while not impossible, would probably have appeared before.

There is a problem with what he is doing. Maybe due to language differences, but it is hard do diagnose remotely.

As yourself noted, “dd-ing” just part of a partition is not the right way for a “layperson”, like he calls himself, to do something like this. Using the installer would be, as mentioned , an easier way.

it is very strange.
debian can read the partition of haiku.
but it can not be recognized as BFS.
is BFS the same as before? or something changed?
it doesn’t matter.
i have no power to resolve it.
not a programmer, just a user.

600 people visit; 90 people read all my article about haiku; less than 10 people ask me the detail.
i have done what i can do.

1 Like

Happens when reading past a partition, whatever the filesystem, or even unformatted. Not only with dd, also with cp and other utilities. The generated file is correct in that case (I mean, when the message happens for that reason, and as far as the tool is used correctly; if data has been changed while copying you will get an incoherent copy, of course).

We probably return B_BAD_VALUE while these tools may expect POSIX’s “If the starting position is at or after the end-of-file, 0 shall be returned.”

It may be as simple as returning (say) ERANGE instead of EINVAL. But I haven’t actually looked into it.

Dear @PeterW

Well @Ilovehotdog wants to create an image with reduced Haiku SW - just the minimum those ‘layman’ what they generally use for their digital activities : browser , office and some other stuff.
He thinks they not even needed or wants to resolve issues on such Haiku “iinstall” - so he would remove system tools that helps and many things he thinks as waste as those layman do not want to learn, but he selects applications which ones they would know from other OS - possible Windows.
So if they experience any issue they would not try to resolve , but copy the entire image back to the install media and use it as fresh.

I assume he may removed too much component or as @Pulkomandy and @BlueSky write the written raw image became corrupted as he does dd command on a mounted partition/.

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately @Ilovehotdog uses a very bad English (which is way better than my Chinese which is at level zero…) Maybe he uses Google Translate (GT) next time. GT is very good nowadays. There’s too much guessing in here until he/she expresses himself/herself more clearly.

我愛熱狗
請問你的網站網址?
anthonylee 是不是Becjk作者喔?從Beos起就久仰大名了。
我想把倉頡詞典換成,快倉(Smart Cangjie,SCJ)詞典,不知怎麼做。