Installing in VirtualBox PANIC 64 bit

First time installing Haiku.

I used the haiku-r1beta4-x86_64-anyboot.iso image to install to VirtualBox 6.1 on a 64 bit Linux machine:

$ lscpu
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit

On startup, I get:

*** PANIC ***
64-bit kernel requires a 64-bit CPU.
Press key to reboot.

Any suggestions? I thought I did indeed have 64-bit hardware.

You probably need to set the architecture somewhere before booting (remember this from long ago), should be something in the menu when you create your system.

1 Like

Are you getting the error on the host or the guest?

1. You need to have virtualization enabled in your computers BIOS. On Intel it is called VT-x and AMD calls it AMD-V, but different BIOS vendors can use different names (like Virtualization).

2. Make sure you have selected a 64-bit version of version template in VirtualBox Manager (Select your Haiku virtual guest machine β†’ Settings β†’ General β†’ Basic β†’ Version and set it to something 64-bit, like Other/Unknown (64-bit). This should enable point 3, but double check to be sure.

3. Enable virtualization on the VirtualBox guest machine (Select your Haiku virtual guest machine β†’ Settings β†’ System β†’ Acceleration β†’ Enable VT-x/AMD-V).

4. No other application can be active that uses VT-x/AMD-V at the same time VirtualBox is running.

Edit: The error message seems to be from the Haiku guest. So the guide above should fix your problem.

2 Likes

Thanks both.

I now have a bootable system to play with.

I’d been following the instructions here:

https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/virtualizing/virtualbox/

Issue was that at step1: β€˜Creating a virtual machine’, I needed to choose
Type: Other
Version: Other/Unknown (64 bit)

rather than simply Other/Unknown.

Seems obvious but somehow I just skipped past it.

1 Like

That was it :slight_smile: Running Haiku mostly on bare metal (and sometimes virtual, but switched from VirtualBox to VMWare after Windows came around)

That guide do not mention the difference between setting up a 32-bit and a 64-bit guest machine.

We need to specify what kind of guest operating system we are going to install. This is helpful in the pre-configuration of virtual machines – it applies default settings for supported OS’s. For Haiku, we are going to choose β€œOther” for operating system type and β€œOther/Unknown” for version:

This should be changed to something like:

We need to specify what kind of guest operating system we are going to install. This is helpful in the pre-configuration of virtual machines – it applies default settings for supported operating systems. For Haiku, set β€œType” to β€œOther”. For a 32-bit Haiku installation set β€œVersion” to β€œOther/Unknown”, or for a 64-bit Haiku installation set it to β€œOther/Unknown (64-bit)”:

Great catch-up! I was a little discouraged by the architecture post because I thought 64-bit was enabled by default :sweat_smile: