Installing Haiku on Pentium 4 with 512 MB ram

You seem to fundamentally misunderstand me and what I’m saying altogether.

The whole point of the statement you highlighted was to point out that so-called third-world countries are often a fundamental exception to what is generally true elsewhere.

I never said ANYTHING at all about what Haiku should or should not support, merely that depending on where a given person lives they might be able to do a whole lot better than settling for hardware that’s practically guaranteed to be 12+ years old. And also that with a Pentium 4 there is little reason to stick to the default amount of ram provided ca. 2004 if you can double or quadruple it for a reasonable price.

@cb88 That seems very bizarre/abnormal, regarding Brazil. Being generally ‘behind’ compared to the cutting edge is one thing, but being a decade or more behind is almost crazy. It’s hardly some backwater nowhere…

People with the money have newish PCs, people without money do not… very simple dynamic. The massive poor and tiny middle class in Brazil will use old hardware till it quits working. Wealth distribution is the main thing that keeps Brazil from being considered a first world country.

1 Like