Installing Haiku on a USB

No. MBR boot doesn’t use or require an EFI partition.

1 Like

So my efi partition is called efiboot and in it is EFI (directory)/BOOT (directory)/haiku_loader.efi

I think the structure should be like this for uefi booting to work but doesn’t boot on uefi systems.

I figured out my problem. I didn’t rename haiku_loader.efi to BOOTX64.EFI

It works like a charm now.
Thank you so much to everyone! This community is really cool and I hope Haiku continues to become better!

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems the renaming part of the “haiku_loader.efi” is only implied which can easily be missed by new users.

4 Likes

This frankly shouldn’t even be necessary if some motherboard makers didn’t just hardcode or only test detection of the Windows EFI bootloader. Others detect EFI binaries with any name just fine, but whatever; this step should indeed be made clear to all users just in case.

3 Likes

It’s the way the efi spec sais it should behave, don’t really see the problem.

The only real problem is that Haiku is currently not able to make an efi entry to boot it from a different path.

some auto-script should be added into haiku iso file.
it is a obstacle for getting more users.

2 Likes

I was wondering too, if I have to rename the haiku_bootloader.efi!

All in capital letters or or all lower case and that like!

I still did not manage to install refind on a Windows partition!
Even I tried various tutorials.

I managed to install EFI to a thumb drive and boot from that into windows or Haiku via refind!

Trying to install it to a Windows efi partition Makes Windows 10 trying to repair the partition on boot (restart)

I even tried to use refind its fallback loader to start a renamed windows loader folder (_Windows)

But no… Windows tries to repair itself and not allows starting of the haiku_bootloader.efi renamed to BootX64.efi

So help needed

EDIT: It should be much easier to install refind on Haiku then on Windows itself! Because you can access the EFI partition much easier!
Anyway, if I try to copy my refind.config (text-file) to the fat32 partition it will become a generic file, and I cannot edit it further!

2 Likes

The EFI partition is a FAT 16 or FAT 32 partition, both case-insensitive.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if what really happens here is that you just can’t double-click that file in Tracker, and make it open on your preferred editor.

If that’s the case, just open your editor, and use its “open file” dialog feature… navigate to the folder where you have that “refine.config” file, select it, and your editor should open it.

Or select your editor after you use the “Open with…” menu item on that “refind.config” file?

(I’ve just tried doing the latter from a FAT32 partition, with a “generic file” that its actually a text file. StyledEdit opened it, no problem).

1 Like

Strange, but exactly like you described my problem I cannot open the generic file with an editor!

I tried to use the FileType add-on and also tried the FileTypes settings to change the geneic file to a text/plain file!

But it don’t work! I will try again! If I copy the EFI Folder to a thumb drive and boot from that it will work as expected and refind will start!

What happens ( messages, etc ) when you first open an editor, then try to open that file from the editor´s Open menu ?

What you can try is to open the editor then to drop the file in the window.

This works as expected…

After copying the file again, it works

But I can still not open it by double click nor by open it with:

Strange, but expected, as FAT32 doesn’t supports mime-types in the same way as BFS does. You can’t change a file’s type there (unless you change its extension to one of the ones that’s recognized, as .txt).

As for why that’s the case… ask one of the developers, as they are far more familiar with the details of how file types work for filesystems with less features than BFS (I could attempt an explanation, but it will be just as my “English”: broken and incomplete).

Edit: Just use any of the other suggested means to open that file. You CAN edit the file, you just cannot open it as conveniently.

3 Likes