Installing Gobe Productive on Haiku

Okay, so I’ve got the Haiku installed on a 16 Gb thumb drive. I can boot into it, and, for the most part, it runs pretty well. I read somewhere that someone got Gobe Productive to run on Haiku. But when I tried to install 2.01 from the original installation disc (I’ve still got the disc, the “Getting Started Guide”, and the box it came in), I had problems.

The installer starts up and lets me choose my destination folder, but when I click on the button to start the installation, nothing really happens. It says installation is done almost instantly, but never shows any files being unpacked and installed.

So, is this a problem with the installer? Or the installer not being supported by Haiku? Will I have to find and attach my old hard drive with BeOS on it and just copy the Gobe Productive files over to the Haiku partition?

Any suggestions appreciated.

I don’t have a copy of it, but supposedly you can copy the installation from a BeOS machine and it will work - it’s just the installer that’s broken.

I’d be interested to know if it does work though, so post back if you try it.

Maybe the Gobe installer uses some BeOS specific paths to directories. You could try the “installoptionalpackage beoscompatibility” command from the Terminal. It creates symbolic links all over the place to map various old BeOS directory names to the new Haiku directories. The downside is that it creates symbolic links all over the place.

The installer is doing something non-standard and therefore will not work under haiku.

However if you can run zeta or BeOS, then you can copy the Gobe.zip file to haiku and install it from there.

http://haikuware.com/20071025128/gobe-productive-running-in-haiku

1 Like

Now I remember why I kept my old Dell machines! A couple of years ago I had weird crashes with GP and Haiku, but I guess it is time to try it again.

Since GP is copyrighted I guess I can’t post the resulting zip file to HaikuWare. But if I can record the diffirences between the BeOS install and Haiku installation those could be posted. Right?

Thanks for the help, guys. I’m still working on this–haven’t had as much time as I had hoped for.

The “installoptionalpackage beoscompatibility” command only worked so far, then had a problem:

/boot/common/cache/tmp/install-optpkg.sh: line 286: AddDirectoryToHaikuImage: command not found
ln: `/boot/var/tmp’: cannot overwrite directory
… something went wrong when installing packages.

However it did seem to make some slight progress as far as the installer goes. The installer now tells me how many files there are,and a file extraction window briefly appears before disappearing again. But still no installation.

If the installer won’t work, then I’ve got problems with the alternate solution. I’ve got BeOS 5.0.3 installed on an older computer, and it runs, but the computer itself (probably the motherboard) has some screwy problems, like problems with its usb ports not working properly, and not being able to get a cd drive to work anymore.

So it’s unlikely that I could boot into BeOS, plug in my “Haiku-stick” and copy the files over to Haiku. Alternately, I could move the hard drive with BeOS over to the newer computer that I run Haiku on, but it’s an older PATA drive, while the newer computer uses SATA. I’d need an adapter to plug it in, or possibly an external USB drive case. One of these options seems more likely, but I’ll have to get the hardware to do them, which isn’t happening this week, not on my budget.

Fun stuff. Yee-haw!

Only recently, installoptionalpackage was extended to support AddDirectoryToHaikuImage. You should be able to simply download http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/plain/data/bin/installoptionalpackage and overwrite /boot/system/bin/installoptionalpackage.

More fascinating stuff. I downloaded installoptionalpackage, but it was downloaded as a text file. I was able to use the Filetype add-on to change it to an application so it could be run. But when I tried to run “installoptionalpackage beoscompatibility”, I got the same error as above:

By your comments, you seem to think I burned the anyboot image to my thumb drive, but what I really did was boot up Haiku from cd and installed Haiku to the thumb drive. So I don’t see why there should be any write problems.

I suppose this is just some stupid permissions thing that I can’t figure out. I’ll have to think some more on it and try it again at a later time. I’ll figure out a solution eventually.

Maybe you should try this:

Open terminal
Type the following commands:
cd /boot/system/bin
rm installoptionalpackage
wget http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/plain/data/bin/installoptionalpackage
chmod +x installoptionalpackage

Then open /boot/common/data/optional-packages/InstalledPackages
Delete the line with beoscompatibility on it

Run in terminal:
installoptionalpackage beoscompatibility

Munchausen, your instructions went smoothly except that there was no line with beoscompatibility on it. Unfortunately when I ran ‘installoptionalpackage beoscompatibility’ again, I got the same message as before:

So like I said, I’m not sure what’s wrong–I’ll just have to come back to it when I have more time to work on it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. One of the things I like about BeOS/Haiku is the terminal and having the power of *nix commands handy, but without being tied down to it. ‘wget’ is a great example of that.

A little more info to help resolve the info. I used ‘installoptionalpackage’ to install Colors! and the Bezilla Browser, and they both installed fine. So it’s just a problem with installing the beoscompatibility package.

Not sure if it helps, but I still had the install log kicking around on my BeOS partition:

/boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/DayPlanner Size: 299601 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/GobeNewsletter Size: 14215 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/Invoice Size: 27720 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/LeasePurchase Size: 12089 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/LoanCalculator Size: 319999 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/LogoLetter Size: 11057 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/Resume Size: 14716 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/SlideShow Size: 19165 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/StockPrice Size: 21106 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/SuperMind Size: 73179 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/TheWidget Size: 18985 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/YearCalendar Size: 85014 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/CheckBook Size: 176941 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Samples/BusinessCards Size: 49495 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5095, 5395, 5895 Size: 21938 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5096, 5196, 5896 Size: 17928 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5097, 5197, 5897 Size: 19721 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5160, 5260, 5660 Size: 38243 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5161, 5261 Size: 26856 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5162, 5262, 5662 Size: 21224 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5163, 5263, 5663 Size: 17586 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5164 Size: 13944 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5198 Size: 19469 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5199 - Face Size: 17586 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5199 - Spine Size: 18368 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5267 Size: 91659 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5383, 5883 Size: 17750 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5384 Size: 12303 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5385 Size: 13770 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5386, 5388 Size: 16819 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5389 Size: 9703 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery 5970, 5971, 5972, 5982 Size: 38399 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7160 Size: 29822 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7161 Size: 26559 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7162, 7562 Size: 23176 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7163 Size: 21357 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7164, 7564 Size: 24653 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7165 Size: 20085 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7166 Size: 18427 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7168 Size: 10002 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7562 Size: 23023 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7563 Size: 21204 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7651 Size: 77867 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/apps/Gobe Productive 2.0/Labels/Avery L7664 Size: 15900 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.gobe.productive-document /boot/beos/system/add-ons/Translators/TextTranslator Size: 133216 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.Be-elfexecutable /boot/beos/system/add-ons/Translators/SYLKTranslator Size: 228468 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.Be-elfexecutable /boot/beos/system/add-ons/Translators/RTFTranslator Size: 252540 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.Be-elfexecutable /boot/beos/system/add-ons/Translators/HTMLTranslator Size: 325464 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.Be-elfexecutable /boot/beos/system/add-ons/Translators/WORDTranslator Size: 375494 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.Be-elfexecutable /boot/beos/system/add-ons/Translators/ExcelTranslator Size: 449222 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.Be-elfexecutable /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Cables.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Eiffel Tower.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Kandinsky.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Macke.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Malevitch.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Marc.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Mero.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Moiré.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/RainbowArcs & Sine.qbe Size: 2601 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Rush.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/The Mask.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/qbist/Tropfstein.qbe Size: 288 bytes Type: application/octet-stream /boot/home/config/settings/bumpmaps/canvas.png Size: 13630 bytes Type: image/png /boot/var/tmp/__textures__ Size: 38903 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.Be-elfexecutable /boot/var/tmp/__update_fonts__ Size: 10231 bytes Type: application/x-vnd.Be-elfexecutable /boot/var/tmp/__mime_fix__ Size: 13248 bytes Type: N/A Executing shell script finishinstall.sh Updating font list Updating mime types Building texture list Creating link: /boot/home/config/be/Applications/Gobe Productive Opening installed folder Cleaning up temporary files

[quote=macsnafu]Munchausen, your instructions went smoothly except that there was no line with beoscompatibility on it. Unfortunately when I ran ‘installoptionalpackage beoscompatibility’ again, I got the same message as before:

[/quote]

More than likely, that’s due to the first failed attempt of installoptionalpackage beoscompatibility.
Here is what that package should do:

ln -sf …/system/apps -t /boot/beos
ln -sf …/system/bin -t /boot/beos
ln -sf …/system/documentation -t /boot/beos
ln -sf …/common/etc -t /boot/beos
ln -sf …/system/preferences -t /boot/beos
ln -sf …/system -t /boot/beos
mkdir -p /boot/var
ln -sf /boot/common/var/log -t /boot/var
ln -sf /boot/common/cache/tmp -t /boot/var

Once you manually ensure those are created successfully, you could edit /boot/common/data/optional-packages/InstalledPackages and add “BeOSCompatibility”.

It may be helpful if I can hook up my old hard drive with BeOS on it, or if I can figure out how to unpack the Gobe Productive files from the cd.

Thanks.

[quote=mmadia]

mkdir -p /boot/var

Once you manually ensure those are created successfully, you could edit /boot/common/data/optional-packages/InstalledPackages and add “BeOSCompatibility”.[/quote]

So let me make sure I understand (before I do something to really mess up my system!). Can I manually run those commands you listed in a terminal to add BeOS compatibility?

[quote=macsnafu][quote=mmadia]

mkdir -p /boot/beos
mkdir -p /boot/var

Once you manually ensure those are created successfully, you could edit /boot/common/data/optional-packages/InstalledPackages and add “BeOSCompatibility”.[/quote]

So let me make sure I understand (before I do something to really mess up my system!). Can I manually run those commands you listed in a terminal to add BeOS compatibility?[/quote]

Yes. Make sure you add “mkdir -p /boot/beos” as the first command. (I forgot to list that one in the original post.) It doesn’t matter what directory you perform the commands in

It’s that last line that I had a problem with:

I got this error:

So there’s definitely something up with the /boot/var/tmp folder.

In any case, we gave it the ol’ college try. Thanks for the help!

Just an update. I finally took the hard drive that had my BeOS installation on it and stuck it in an external USB case. Then in Haiku I simply copied the Gobe Productive installed files over to Haiku, using the GP install log as a guide. And voila, Gobe Productive works! I’m currently running on r45686.

So while it doesn’t seem to be possible to install GP on Haiku, copying an installed version over to Haiku works.