Installer Ate my SSD

I think the Haiku installer ate my SSD. I will not swear but the I don’t believe in coincidence either. I booted from USB and selected to installer. I setup my partition and then installed to it. I then rebooted but the system didn’t boot. I booted again from the USB and now the 450gb SSD only shows up as an 8meg drive. I can’t see any of the Haiku partition that was there just min before. I am also unable to undo this. I have tired gparted and partition magic. All report the drive as only being an 8meg drive. It was fine until I used the Haiku Partition software to create a partition to install to. I have done this many times, and I don’t see how any mistake, if made, could result in completely killing the SSD. I am now terrified of trying again with an other SSD. I can’t risk it killing a 2nd one, it’s too expensive.

It’s very doubtful that any installer could effect a SSD like that. What is the SSD showing up as in BIOS/UEFI? If it’s showing as the right size there then it is a software error and not hardware.
Personally I will not use SSD’s and avoid them like the plague, they are as you say far too expensive but also very unreliable. My son purchased one 7 months ago, it died a sudden death within 6 months, they do just die all of a sudden in a flash, (forgive the pun).
Check what it shows as in your BIOS.

I found an old SSD that I tried and didn’t have this problem. I have a host of others though.

First, I have been using SSDs with Haiku for years with no problems. I have used/using Intel, Samsung and Data Pro of diffirent sizes using the Haiku installer with no problems.

Second, the 8Meg bug is an old one that should only occur in very old SSDs, what manufactor/model of SSD were you using? Was it a rebuilt drive meaning it original was an older drive resold as new?

The 8Meg bug was very common years ago see: https://communities.intel.com/thread/24126 please note the date of the thread. NO MODERN SSD HAS THE 8MEG BUG PROBLEM!

At the end of the thread they mention how to secure erase your drive to get the full size back, but after that I suggest you reflash the SSD to the latest internal code.

Remember Google is your friend.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20fix%208%20meg%20ssd%20bug

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=intel+ssd+8mb+fix

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=intel+ssd+320+firmware

In short, Haiku (nor any other OS) should be able to ‘destroy’ modern hardware. I’ve run and hacked Haiku drivers (doing all sorts of crazy crap) for years without any hardware being destroyed. The only exception is hardware overheating… but once again all modern hardware has hardware fail safes that should kick in before anything really bad happens.

Now, if the OS does do something to “damage” a hardware device, i’d be inclined to think the hardware had a pre-existing fault.

I’m curious though if you might just have a weird GPT partition table in place or something. When you formatted the SSD, is it GPT or MBR? If you could boot linux, running fdisk on the drive would give us lots of good insight into whats going on.

I don’t know how you came to that idea.

The 8MB bug only occurred on old SSD designs that are not in use today. That is why I asked what model of drive he was using as the only reasons I would expect someone to have such an old drive is 1) ii was an old refurnished unit or 2) a friend gave the OP an old drive from a machine that was being upgraded to a newer/larger SSD.

Also your comment implies a complete loss of the drive, while I have supplied pointers to how to restore the full drive again.

I don’t like how many modern equipment is shipped with bugs in the firmware that needs to be updated, but don’t fool yourself - decades ago a lot of hardware also shipped with buggy firmware. It is just today we stress the units more and there are a lot more users/hackers/crackers with the hardware and thus finding the faults a lot faster/sooner.

It was an old… old SSD. I have not looked at it to see if the SSD is really bad yet or not.

Please get a new SSD. They are not that expensive anymore. I have seen ones as cheap as $55 for 120GB drive.