Installation trouble on Oracle VirtualBox

I recently downloaded the 32bit hrev51961 image to install on a VM using Oracle VirtualBox. I have been through a VM install guide and have tried a myriad of settings but I keep running into the same issue. Haiku is in the process of loading in the VM and once all the icons on the screen get populated, I get a kernel panic:

PANIC: device_set_driver: method bus_get_dma_tag not found

Welcome to Kernel Debugging Land…
Thread 117 “net_server” running on CPU 0
stack trace for thread 117 “net_server”

etc. etc.

Does anyone have any advice?

John

Try to change your virtual NIC in VirtualBox.
Settings > Network > Adapter type

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried every available option and I get the same error - note that two options: NAT Network and Generic Adapter were considered invalid by VBox. Even when I disable all network adapters I get the error as well. Also, I am running Oracle VirtualBox v.5.2.12 (r122591) Qt5.6.2

Please try with hrev51951 or newer.

I think I am missing something - I chose the latest (I thought) version - hrev51961.

Make really sure, because the problem was fixed in hrev51951. So what you are using is probably an older version. Either it’s your fault, or the buildbots somehow built things from the wrong source (it’s possible, because we had some problems with our git server lately).

The “info” command at the KDL prompt can be used to tell which version of the kernel you’re running.

1 Like

Ah, that is the problem. It is version hrev51950 with a build date of May 18, 2018 17:03.

I’ve been using Haiku in VirtualBox for a while, my notes on how to set it up are at http://web.ncf.ca/au829/WeekendReports/20121130/InstallingHaikuR1A4.html Of course, like you found out, the nightly builds occasionally break something.

1 Like

Thanks. The problem was that I managed to get a hold of an older version - whether I, in my advanced years, managed to misread the version I downloaded or a helper bot went on a bender, I have no idea. Thanks for your notes and your response. Once, I downloaded and installed an updated version, everything worked like a charm.